Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Maiden Names

  • runningdeer1011@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
      Cathy you could try that.Also request a death certificate from the
      probate court where your great grandmother died.Local newspapers,Social
      Security and railroad pension indices if applicable,church
      records,cemeteries to name a few references.In addition look at
      collateral families and neighbors living near your great
      grandmother.Happy searching!
    • Cassandra
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
        Cathy,

        Sometimes it is on the funeral papers, land purchases, death certificate
        and maybe marriage application which is different than the marriage lis.

        Hope this is helpful. I have also found mother maiden names on the
        census when they are living with the child. The census has a bunch of
        great info.

        Cassandra

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
          I'm having the same problem with my maternal grandmother and
          grandfather. I know their names, but can't find a bloody thing on them.
          Very frustrating!!

          Roberta

          Roberta Kendall

          robtakendall@...

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
            I don't know about Cook Cty Illinois but I've found that some locations will
            be able to look up a birth certificate without the mother's maiden name,
            others will not. I guess it all depends on how they filed the records...or
            how willing the archivist is to do research. I had the folks in Denver
            absolutely refuse to even look for a birth certificate without the mother's
            maiden name dispite the fact that I had all the other info -- my heavens,
            how many Frank Edward Paxton's would have been born on a particular day in
            1911 in Aspen, anyway???? OTOH, I've had very gracious help from the folks
            in Ohio when looking for a death certificate and all I had was that the
            relative died in prison within a 5-year time frame....they found it, BTW.
            The Registar of Deeds in a county in North Dakota not only found deed info
            for me but sent me a plat map of where my ancestor's homestead had been
            located....she even offered to go out and take a picture for me if I wanted
            her to!

            Ask. Provide as much info as you have. Be polite. The worst they can do
            is say "no".

            No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden name was
            and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
            grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
            honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone have
            any other ideas?

            Thanks!!
            Cathy

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • lostdaisy04012000
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
              Haven't been able to find the "real" maiden name of my great-
              grandmother either. She was married 8+ times and her marriage
              certificates that I've been able to find only list her last married
              name, death certificate and funeral records in her married name only.
              She ran away from home, so I'm sure it will be a long time before I
              find out, if ever...? Good luck in your search!

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, runningdeer1011@w...
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                Request the marriage applications in addition to the licenses for her
                first few marriages.If her hometown is known then look at announcements
                section in the town newspaper.You mentioned she ran away from home,then
                check sheriff files and court records:orphanage,civil
                disputes,adoptions,ordinary etc.
              • Cathy Peters
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
                  Illinois has some online marriage info, but there's no entry for
                  them. I requested from the SSA my grandmother's original
                  application for social security and she listed her mother's maiden
                  name but I can't decipher what she wrote!
                  I do have my parent's birth certs. but they do not list their
                  grandparent's names, only their parents.
                  I've checked newspaper obit archives and nothing.
                  It's a mystery, but I won't give up. Thanks to all for your help!
                  Cathy

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rhonna Smith
                  <rhonna@a...> wrote:
                  > Cathy,
                  > Do you know when and where your grandparents were married? If you
                  do,
                  > you can request a copy of their marriage APPLICATION that will
                  list your
                  > grandmothers maiden name. Also, do you have access to your
                  parents
                  > birth certificates? It will list their mother's maiden name on
                  the
                  > birth certificate!
                  > Good luck,
                  > Rhonna
                  >
                  > Cathy Peters wrote:
                  >
                  > > No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden
                  name was
                  > > and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
                  > > grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
                  > > honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone
                  have
                  > > any other ideas?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!!
                  > > Cathy
                  > >

                  > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
                  Ancestry.Com

                  > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                  bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718
                  > > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                  bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  of

                • Rhonna Smith
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
                    Cathy--
                    When I requested my grandmother's birth certificate, I did not have her
                    mother's maiden name. I had her name, birthdate, father's name, and
                    mother's first name. They sent me the birth certificate. That is how I
                    found her mother's maiden name. In fact, I did not have her father's
                    first name. I knew it was either George or Gregory (he was listed as
                    George on his marriage application and Gregory on his prayer card from
                    his funeral!!). You can also request a marriage application, you will
                    not only get her maiden name, but the names of her parents and his
                    parents too!
                    Good luck!
                    Rhonna