Maiden Names

  • Cathy Peters
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
      No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden name was
      and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
      grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
      honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone have
      any other ideas?

      Thanks!!
      Cathy
    • runningdeer1011@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
        Cathy you could try that.Also request a death certificate from the
        probate court where your great grandmother died.Local newspapers,Social
        Security and railroad pension indices if applicable,church
        records,cemeteries to name a few references.In addition look at
        collateral families and neighbors living near your great
        grandmother.Happy searching!
      • Cassandra
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
          Cathy,

          Sometimes it is on the funeral papers, land purchases, death certificate
          and maybe marriage application which is different than the marriage lis.

          Hope this is helpful. I have also found mother maiden names on the
          census when they are living with the child. The census has a bunch of
          great info.

          Cassandra

          No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden name was
          and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
          grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
          honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone have
          any other ideas?

          Thanks!!
          Cathy

          http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
          <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
          &siteid=18621718

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

          cribe>

          _____

        • Roberta Kendall
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
            I'm having the same problem with my maternal grandmother and
            grandfather. I know their names, but can't find a bloody thing on them.
            Very frustrating!!

            Roberta

            Roberta Kendall

            robtakendall@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
              Cathy,
              Do you know when and where your grandparents were married? If you do,
              you can request a copy of their marriage APPLICATION that will list your
              grandmothers maiden name. Also, do you have access to your parents
              birth certificates? It will list their mother's maiden name on the
              birth certificate!
              Good luck,
              Rhonna

              Cathy Peters wrote:

              > No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden name was
              > and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
              > grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
              > honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone have
              > any other ideas?
              >
              > Thanks!!
              > Cathy

              > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

            • Tina Paxton
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
                I don't know about Cook Cty Illinois but I've found that some locations will
                be able to look up a birth certificate without the mother's maiden name,
                others will not. I guess it all depends on how they filed the records...or
                how willing the archivist is to do research. I had the folks in Denver
                absolutely refuse to even look for a birth certificate without the mother's
                maiden name dispite the fact that I had all the other info -- my heavens,
                how many Frank Edward Paxton's would have been born on a particular day in
                1911 in Aspen, anyway???? OTOH, I've had very gracious help from the folks
                in Ohio when looking for a death certificate and all I had was that the
                relative died in prison within a 5-year time frame....they found it, BTW.
                The Registar of Deeds in a county in North Dakota not only found deed info
                for me but sent me a plat map of where my ancestor's homestead had been
                located....she even offered to go out and take a picture for me if I wanted
                her to!

                Ask. Provide as much info as you have. Be polite. The worst they can do
                is say "no".

                No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden name was
                and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
                grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
                honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone have
                any other ideas?

                Thanks!!
                Cathy

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • lostdaisy04012000
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
                  Haven't been able to find the "real" maiden name of my great-
                  grandmother either. She was married 8+ times and her marriage
                  certificates that I've been able to find only list her last married
                  name, death certificate and funeral records in her married name only.
                  She ran away from home, so I'm sure it will be a long time before I
                  find out, if ever...? Good luck in your search!

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, runningdeer1011@w...
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
                    Request the marriage applications in addition to the licenses for her
                    first few marriages.If her hometown is known then look at announcements
                    section in the town newspaper.You mentioned she ran away from home,then
                    check sheriff files and court records:orphanage,civil
                    disputes,adoptions,ordinary etc.
                  • Cathy Peters
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
                      Illinois has some online marriage info, but there's no entry for
                      them. I requested from the SSA my grandmother's original
                      application for social security and she listed her mother's maiden
                      name but I can't decipher what she wrote!
                      I do have my parent's birth certs. but they do not list their
                      grandparent's names, only their parents.
                      I've checked newspaper obit archives and nothing.
                      It's a mystery, but I won't give up. Thanks to all for your help!
                      Cathy

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Rhonna Smith
                      <rhonna@a...> wrote:
                      > Cathy,
                      > Do you know when and where your grandparents were married? If you
                      do,
                      > you can request a copy of their marriage APPLICATION that will
                      list your
                      > grandmothers maiden name. Also, do you have access to your
                      parents
                      > birth certificates? It will list their mother's maiden name on
                      the
                      > birth certificate!
                      > Good luck,
                      > Rhonna
                      >
                      > Cathy Peters wrote:
                      >
                      > > No one in my family knows what my great grandmother's maiden
                      name was
                      > > and I have no documents with this info. If I request a copy of my
                      > > grandmother's birth certificate(Cook County Illinois)will it be
                      > > honored without providing the mother's maiden name? Does anyone
                      have
                      > > any other ideas?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!!
                      > > Cathy
                      > >

                      > > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
                      Ancestry.Com

                      > > http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                      bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718
                      > > <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?
                      bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>

                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                      of

                    • Rhonna Smith
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
                        Cathy--
                        When I requested my grandmother's birth certificate, I did not have her
                        mother's maiden name. I had her name, birthdate, father's name, and
                        mother's first name. They sent me the birth certificate. That is how I
                        found her mother's maiden name. In fact, I did not have her father's
                        first name. I knew it was either George or Gregory (he was listed as
                        George on his marriage application and Gregory on his prayer card from
                        his funeral!!). You can also request a marriage application, you will
                        not only get her maiden name, but the names of her parents and his
                        parents too!
                        Good luck!
                        Rhonna