RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Family history websites

  • Roberta Kendall
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
      How very interesting! Thanks for that information, never knew that. :
      )

      Roberta

      Roberta Kendall

      robtakendall@...

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
        I just wanted to share my experience with everyone that I had yesterday.

        I ordered the Family Tree Maker 2005 software from Ancestry.com - paid
        the $40 over the web for it, etc. almost a month ago. So I waited and
        waited for it to come in the mail - finally started calling them -
        "Where is my software?" They kept telling me that it was sent by the
        post office so there was no way to track it and sometimes it can take as
        long as three weeks to get to us.

        So FINALLY yesterday it showed up on my desk (I had it sent to work,
        safer for me) and I thought, Wow, great, it's finally here - and put it
        to one side for a few hours because I was really busy. When I tore the
        envelope open later (thinking, That's weird, usually software comes in a
        box), I found that the only thing they had sent to me was the Quick
        Start Guide, which was a tiny pamphlet that goes with the software -
        nothing else!! No disk, no nothing, NADA. I was so upset!! I called
        them right away and the woman was very apologetic and first offered me a
        free week of Ancestry.com, and said she'd get another one right in the
        mail to me as soon as I returned the booklet to them. So I said, "Hey,
        wait a minute, that doesn't fly with me" and so we dickered and talked
        some more - I finally told her that I wanted my money back, because I
        don't want to wait another four weeks for the software, especially since
        my free trial is over in a few days. I thought it would be easier just
        to go out and buy it somewhere.

        But as we were talking I did a quick check on the web and found that the
        amount I paid with Ancestry.com is much lower than what they're selling
        it for at other places - I paid around $32, and Fry's has it for $50,
        which really surprised me. After being on the phone with them for a
        while (she had to talk to her manager several times), they came back
        with an offer of sending me a free copy of FamilyTree Maker 2006 (the
        new version that's just coming out), and the free week of Ancestry.com.
        Since the new software is quite expensive, I said ok. So now I'm
        sitting here waiting another (probably) four weeks for my software to
        come....what a frustrating experience!!

        I hope no one else has had that problem??

        Roberta

        Roberta Kendall

        robtakendall@...

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
          Roberta and all,

          The census records are released every 10 years due to "privacy records" or whatever. The 1930 census was released in 2002, therefore, the 1940 records will be released in 2012.
          I did find my father who is 80, in the 1930 census but my mother was still in the womb! I wont get to see her actually in the census for another 7 years....
          Good luck in your search!

          Mary Lou

          I have a question - why can't we find census records for 1940 and after?
          Have always wondered - I realize that they probably weren't hand-written
          at that time, but why don't we have access to them?

          Thanks much,

          Roberta in CA : )

          "Those who care, DON'T COUNT--
          Those who count, DON'T CARE"

        • Dyan Comet
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
            Roberta,

            Thanks for the heads up. I have never liked Ancestry! Yeah, they have lots of info but I just don't like their attitude. I get stuff from them telling me they have info, then I go and they expect me to pay for everything.

            Thanks again for letting us know about your frustrating experience with them.

            Diane

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

            cribe>

            _____

            Genealogy research Genealogy information

          • linda buss
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 5, 2005
              roberta i know that it is frustrating trying to get
              census records, up here in canada due to privacy
              issues census records are not opened for 100 years i
              am trying to trace my mothers family, all of whom
              except one have passed away, who could it hurt if the
              census records are released say after 70 years? groups
              up here in canada are working on that issue maybe you
              could get groups down in the us to try the same thing
              --- Mary Lou <babylou52@...> wrote:

              ---------------------------------
              Roberta and all,

              The census records are released every 10 years due to
              "privacy records" or whatever. The 1930 census was
              released in 2002, therefore, the 1940 records will be
              released in 2012.
              I did find my father who is 80, in the 1930 census but
              my mother was still in the womb! I wont get to see her
              actually in the census for another 7 years....
              Good luck in your search!

              Mary Lou

              I have a question - why can't we find census records
              for 1940 and after?
              Have always wondered - I realize that they probably
              weren't hand-written
              at that time, but why don't we have access to them?

              Thanks much,

              Roberta in CA : )

              "Those who care, DON'T COUNT--
              Those who count, DON'T CARE"

              Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help at
              Ancestry.Com

              Terms of Service.

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • jonczar@copper.net
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 5, 2005
                Roberta
                You lost money in the exchange. I just received an offer for the new 2006 version. It costs about $29 for the upgrade. If they send you the full version it might be worth it, but I expect they will send the update.
                Good LUCK!
                Jon

                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 8, 2005
                  They said they would send me the full version because I have received
                  NOTHING so far. (if I get less than that, I'll be on the horn to them
                  immediately, don't worry ; )

                  Roberta

                  Roberta Kendall

                  robtakendall@...

[...]

                  Service.

                  http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
                  <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
                  &siteid=18621718

                  _____

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

                  cribe>

                  _____

                • Lois Robacker
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 8, 2005
                    I have never had a problem with these people or their
                    products. I think they are aok

                    === message truncated ===

                    Lois

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • SherAnn Nelson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 11, 2005
                      I subscribed to Ancestary.com and found a lot of info then found some wrong info I have a hard time desifering the wrong info and the right

                      Gwen Hopkins <ldytramp@...> wrote:
                      I belong to Ancestry.com and have found that it is very helpful. I can't aford to travel around to gather all of the information that can be found on the site. The census reports for instance. you can view the actual page of the report then save it to your hard drive. They are posting more data bases all the time. They have different subscriptions so you can just subscrib to the area's that you are interested in. Geneolgy.com is a sister site so a subscription to one or the other is really all that you would need if choosing to subscrib to one or the other of those sites.

                      I wondered the same thing before I subscribe and started with a subscription in the area that I thought I would use the most and then added subscriptions to the other area's of the site as I started using it more. That spreads the cost out through the year and for me is more affordable than subsrcribing to the whole site all at once.

                      Good Luck with your research.

                      Martin Eayrs <martin@...> wrote:
                      I was wondering if any of you belonged to any of the web family
                      history companies (roots.com, ancestry.com, etc.) and whether you
                      thought it was worth it.

                      I have thought about this because time after time I come across a web
                      page that leads me to a link (census return, birth details) and then
                      says I either have to pay or join or most likely both.

                      Now I can't afford to join all these services and for all I know some
                      in fact duplicate the content of others. Maybe one offers better
                      value ? Maybe another is a rip off?

                      As I sincerely don't know I thought I'd ask around. So, any ideas ..
                      please let me know what you think, or how you think I could get a fair
                      opinion. Most (but not all) of my research centres around the UK.

                      Martin

                      Genealogy research Genealogy information

                    • Tina Stedman
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                        As with any genealogy research, you look at the references that were
                        used. There are many records online including ancestry that are
                        transcriptions of acutal records. These transcriptions should be used
                        to order or look at the actual record for verification that the
                        transcriber did a good job. Mistakes are always made.

                        There are also information online including ancestry that are
                        submitted by fellow researchers. Use those records to help you figure
                        out where you need to look for primary sources. You should also email
                        the submitter to ask for their sources/documentation of the
                        genealogy. If they can not provide it then I would say that it is
                        hearsay and not fact.

                        As for documentation that give different info on the same person there
                        are many reasons for this. One is that the information was not always
                        supplied by the individual but by a relative. Two is that accents or
                        broken English also played a factor in it. Three is that sometimes
                        people actually lied especially when it came down to American Indian
                        heritage. My ancestor claimed she was white and not Indian on all
                        records because of the stigma of being American Indian at that time.

                        Remember that even genealogist are human and errors are made. You
                        just have to use as many sources as is possible and check the original
                        records/sources.

                        Hope this helps.

                        TolkSteel

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, SherAnn Nelson
                        <littlebit_1972_69@y...> wrote:
                        > I subscribed to Ancestary.com and found a lot of info then found
                        some wrong info I have a hard time desifering the wrong info and the
                        right
                        have been removed]
                      • Sally
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                          No matter *where* you get your information, you must verify it & have accurate sources. The digital census copies on Ancestry.com are just about perfect sources *except* the census is only as accurate as the information that was given & the information that was written down.

                          Ancestry.com provides some prime sources for us that save a lot of travel time & $$$. There is no way they can guarantee the accuracy. If you get any information at all from the family tree section, you must prove each & every step. Very few people provide sources when they provide those trees. I use that section as a *suggestion* of ancestors, only.

                          Remember, even birth records can be wrong & death certificates are without doubt one of the prime sources for errors. It is up to each genealogist to verify the information they find, even information from old books can be very, very wrong. And even hundreds of years ago people fabricated family histories.

                          Ancestry.com has provided us with a most valuable resource that is gold when used correctly. If you check their site, they give you lots of information on how to use their information.
                          Sally

                          I subscribed to Ancestary.com and found a lot of info then found some wrong info I have a hard time desifering the wrong info and the right

                          Gwen Hopkins <ldytramp@...> wrote:
                          I belong to Ancestry.com and have found that it is very helpful. I can't aford to travel around to gather all of the information that can be found on the site. The census reports for instance. you can view the actual page of the report then save it to your hard drive. They are posting more data bases all the time. They have different subscriptions so you can just subscrib to the area's that you are interested in. Geneolgy.com is a sister site so a subscription to one or the other is really all that you would need if choosing to subscrib to one or the other of those sites.

                        • Tina Paxton
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                            Amen!! Verify, verify, verify. Find multiple sources for everything and
                            the closer to a primary source it is, the better. Will all the sources
                            match? Unfortunately, no. But, you should be able to get pretty darn close
                            with a number of different resources to compare to one another.

                            If the information is from another genealogist who did not provide their
                            sources, I don't even put it into my data files. I write it down in a
                            separate notebook until I can find other sources that back it up.

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 13, 2005
                                Hi Laraine,
                                I don't know of any jewish sites, but I will help you if you give me what info you have on him.

                                laraine Gill <witchoneau@...> wrote:

                                Hi
                                I'm trying to trace my maternalGGF his surname is
                                Meekcom and the only reference to that name has been
                                of a Jewish holocaust(?sp) survivor, so I am wondering
                                if they were Jewish and if so is there a website I can
                                go to so I can check.
                                Thanks
                                Laraine

                                Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!
                                http://au.photomail.mail.yahoo.com

                                Genealogy research Genealogy information

                                Tammy Jenigan

                              • Roberta Kendall
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                  Laraine, I am currently tracing Jewish ancestors and am using some
                                  wonderful sites.

                                  I suggest you go to the library and check out "Genealogy Online for
                                  Dummies" - I know the title isn't great, but it comes with a CD on the
                                  back cover that holds, among other things, LOTS of urls that you can
                                  check. The book itself has so many helpful sites listed in it that I've
                                  decided to buy it. It's $24.99 new, so I'm going to try and find it
                                  used.

                                  One of them is JewishGen, an organization based in New York. That's one
                                  of the first places I started with, before I went to the library. You
                                  can check JewishGen for relatives without becoming a member (it's free
                                  anyway). You can also do a general search on Yahoo or Google for Jewish
                                  genealogy organizations/Jewish people in the 1800's/Jews killed in the
                                  Holocaust, you name it - you'll be surprised at how much comes up. I've
                                  been able to come up with names going back to the early 1800's that way.

                                  I also suggest joining Ancestry.com. They have a monthly rate that is
                                  much more affordable than what they advertise. Just call them. It's
                                  arouind $36. Also try the LDS site. Even though it's LDS, I have come
                                  up with TONS of leads on it, some that weren't on the Jewish sites.

                                  Also castlegarden.org (the place before Ellis Island got set up), the
                                  Ellis Island site, and www.stevemorse.org, which is an invaluable site
                                  for doing searches.

                                  That should keep you busy for a while. : )

                                  Roberta

                                  Roberta Kendall

                                  robtakendall@...

[...]

                                  Genealogy
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+res
                                  earch&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=s-JonNO38gND3RJ-5wZPtQ>
                                  research Genealogy
                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=Genealogy+
                                  research&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=DAxXPdN5WW_ul2lNFtt71w>
                                  information

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                    Try this too:

                                    http://www.usgenweb.org/projects/index.shtml

                                    There are TONS of sites out there, you'll find that one leads to more.
                                    I do suggest buying that book though.

                                    Roberta

                                    Roberta Kendall

                                    robtakendall@...

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                      Hi Tamela
                                      His name is/was William Meekcom and he was born in
                                      England he married Eliza Lily Freeman and as far as we
                                      know only had 1 daughter (my grandmother) who of
                                      course died before I got bitten by the genealogy bug.
                                      We have no other info. on him
                                      Laraine

                                    • omadarlin_2000
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 15, 2005
                                        Cassandra,

                                        Thank you so much for this bit of information! I just got caught up
                                        on my genealogy emails this weekend and, being too stingy to invest in
                                        $$$$.com, have had a TON of fun looking through the Heritage Quest
                                        census records.

                                        One of the most interesting finds was that my maternal g-father's dad
                                        (Lew) boarded next door to my maternal g-mother's parents (Albert &
                                        Yvonne). Who would have guessed that years later Lew's son would
                                        marry Albert & Yvonne's baby girl! My grandmother didn't even know
                                        they had been neighbors. I also found Alberts
                                        emigration/naturalization dates. Yippee!

                                        This is too much fun!

                                        Heather in Cincy

                                        > I know my library here if you have a card you can sign on from home
                                        to there data base. This is heritage quest census. Mine doesn't have
                                        all of them but it is free.