Family history websites

  • Martin Eayrs
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
      I was wondering if any of you belonged to any of the web family
      history companies (roots.com, ancestry.com, etc.) and whether you
      thought it was worth it.

      I have thought about this because time after time I come across a web
      page that leads me to a link (census return, birth details) and then
      says I either have to pay or join or most likely both.

      Now I can't afford to join all these services and for all I know some
      in fact duplicate the content of others. Maybe one offers better
      value ? Maybe another is a rip off?

      As I sincerely don't know I thought I'd ask around. So, any ideas ..
      please let me know what you think, or how you think I could get a fair
      opinion. Most (but not all) of my research centres around the UK.

      Martin
    • Roberta Kendall
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
        Hi Martin,

        I'm new here but I've been looking for ancestors for about six weeks now
        and have had some pretty good luck.

        So far I'm with Ancestry.com, LDS, and JewishGen (I just found out a
        week ago that I have Jewish roots : ) Ancestry.com is expensive, but it
        has given me lots and lots of information. They don't advertise that
        that they have a monthly rate, which is $50 - you have to call them in
        order to get it. I'm a single parent so I can't afford the $150 - $200
        to join. Also if you "pretend" you're going to join for a year, then
        close the window, they'll follow up with sending you a cheaper offer. I
        think Ancestry.com is worth it because it saves me a lot of time in
        looking. One drawback is that their search engine isn't as good as it
        could be - it comes up with data that's pertinent, but then I'll find
        that I have to go thru page after page after page in order to get to
        other results that were sorted from different databases - in other
        words, they'll come up with results from Immigration Records first,
        which you have to sort thru, then you have to keep going if you want to
        look at Census records, and so on. I did find census results for a lot
        of my ancestors, which were fascinating because you can download the
        actual pages and see what was happening in 1930, etc.

        One thing they need to correct is that if you go into a link, then go
        back into the search results, the link doesn't change color - so it's
        difficult sometimes to find your place again. That's a pain.

        I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ancestry.com is worth it to me,
        but I sure as heck wouldn't shell out $200 to use it - and there are
        ways of getting around that price. I should also say that I have found
        very important information on the LDS site that is NOT on Ancestry.com,
        that I have been looking for, for a long time. Interesting, huh?

        I have a question - why can't we find census records for 1940 and after?
        Have always wondered - I realize that they probably weren't hand-written
        at that time, but why don't we have access to them?

        Thanks much,

        Roberta in CA : )

        Roberta Kendall

        robtakendall@...

        I was wondering if any of you belonged to any of the web family
        history companies (roots.com, ancestry.com, etc.) and whether you
        thought it was worth it.

        I have thought about this because time after time I come across a web
        page that leads me to a link (census return, birth details) and then
        says I either have to pay or join or most likely both.

        Now I can't afford to join all these services and for all I know some
        in fact duplicate the content of others. Maybe one offers better
        value ? Maybe another is a rip off?

        As I sincerely don't know I thought I'd ask around. So, any ideas ..
        please let me know what you think, or how you think I could get a fair
        opinion. Most (but not all) of my research centres around the UK.

        Martin

        http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
        <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
        &siteid=18621718

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

        cribe>

        _____

      • Gwen Hopkins
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
          I belong to Ancestry.com and have found that it is very helpful. I can't aford to travel around to gather all of the information that can be found on the site. The census reports for instance. you can view the actual page of the report then save it to your hard drive. They are posting more data bases all the time. They have different subscriptions so you can just subscrib to the area's that you are interested in. Geneolgy.com is a sister site so a subscription to one or the other is really all that you would need if choosing to subscrib to one or the other of those sites.

          I wondered the same thing before I subscribe and started with a subscription in the area that I thought I would use the most and then added subscriptions to the other area's of the site as I started using it more. That spreads the cost out through the year and for me is more affordable than subsrcribing to the whole site all at once.

          Good Luck with your research.

          Martin Eayrs <martin@...> wrote:
          I was wondering if any of you belonged to any of the web family
          history companies (roots.com, ancestry.com, etc.) and whether you
          thought it was worth it.

          I have thought about this because time after time I come across a web
          page that leads me to a link (census return, birth details) and then
          says I either have to pay or join or most likely both.

          Now I can't afford to join all these services and for all I know some
          in fact duplicate the content of others. Maybe one offers better
          value ? Maybe another is a rip off?

          As I sincerely don't know I thought I'd ask around. So, any ideas ..
          please let me know what you think, or how you think I could get a fair
          opinion. Most (but not all) of my research centres around the UK.

          Martin

        • Cassandra
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
            Martin

            If you would have ask me a month ago I would have said no. But since
            Ancestry has updated each census more names of mine are showing up.
            They have also worked on clearing them up so if you do located some one
            you can actually ready it. The printing now is very easy. Yes they are
            pricey but you can just get the census if you want. The newspaper I
            didn't find any thing so I dropped that. But over all the census is
            great.

            I know my library here if you have a card you can sign on from home to
            there data base. This is heritage quest census. Mine doesn't have all
            of them but it is free.

            Hope this helps. I have to decide if I want to up my ancestry for
            another year.

            Cassandra

            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
              I used a trial subscription to Ancestry.com and found some information
              that was useful. I also did subscribe for a month to World Tree thru
              Genealogy.com for $9.99. It's okay. I was able to link to 2 extended
              family trees.

              If you want to save money, the LDS Family History Centers have free use
              of Ancestry.com and are very useful according to my sisters. They're
              open to anyone who wants to use them
              \
              \--- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Eayrs"
              <martin@e...> wrote:
              > I was wondering if any of you belonged to any of the web family
              > history companies (roots.com, ancestry.com, etc.) and whether you
              > thought it was worth it.
              >
              > I have thought about this because time after time I come across a web
              > page that leads me to a link (census return, birth details) and then
              > says I either have to pay or join or most likely both.
              >
              > Now I can't afford to join all these services and for all I know some
              > in fact duplicate the content of others. Maybe one offers better
              > value ? Maybe another is a rip off?
              >
              > As I sincerely don't know I thought I'd ask around. So, any ideas ..
              > please let me know what you think, or how you think I could get a fair
              > opinion. Most (but not all) of my research centres around the UK.
              >
              > Martin
            • Vivian Sternenberg
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
                Hi Roberta,
                You asked:
                I have a question - why can't we find census records for 1940 and after?
                Have always wondered - I realize that they probably weren't hand-written
                at that time, but why don't we have access to them?

                Thanks much,

                Roberta in CA : )
                My answer: They have to wait 75 yrs. to make census records public record. That is why we have to wait in 10 yr. cycles to have the records available. Before that time, you can contact the census bureau and pay for a copy if you know name, dates and places, but you also have to have a valid reason, such as a person birth record needs to be known for driver's license or to sign up on Social Security, etc. 1940 will be available to us after 2010.
                Hope this answers your question.
                Vivian in Oregon
                Researching:
                STERNENBERG>Germany>Illinois>Alabama
                MARTIN>Arkansas>Texas>Oklahoma
                MASON>Iowa>Arkansas>Oklahoma
                WITTE>Alabama
                FORMAN>Alabama

              • Vivian Sternenberg
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
                  I use Ancestry.com alot. I have found lot's of family on census records, the immigration lists and just last night I found the birth date of my baby brother who only lived about 3 mo. He was born in Dec. 1953 and Ancestry has the Texas birth records online. Now I can get a copy of his birth certificate and hopefully his death certificate, now that I have his birthdate and full name. Found out he was born just 11 months before I was.
                  This was an awesome find!
                  Vivian (MARTIN) Sternenberg
                  in Oregon

                • Lois Robacker
                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Has to be 70 years or so gone by before you can get
                    those updated to present time census

                    --- Roberta Kendall <robertakendall@...>

                    Lois

                    http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  • Roberta Kendall
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
                      How very interesting! Thanks for that information, never knew that. :
                      )

                      Roberta

                      Roberta Kendall

                      robtakendall@...

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
                        I just wanted to share my experience with everyone that I had yesterday.

                        I ordered the Family Tree Maker 2005 software from Ancestry.com - paid
                        the $40 over the web for it, etc. almost a month ago. So I waited and
                        waited for it to come in the mail - finally started calling them -
                        "Where is my software?" They kept telling me that it was sent by the
                        post office so there was no way to track it and sometimes it can take as
                        long as three weeks to get to us.

                        So FINALLY yesterday it showed up on my desk (I had it sent to work,
                        safer for me) and I thought, Wow, great, it's finally here - and put it
                        to one side for a few hours because I was really busy. When I tore the
                        envelope open later (thinking, That's weird, usually software comes in a
                        box), I found that the only thing they had sent to me was the Quick
                        Start Guide, which was a tiny pamphlet that goes with the software -
                        nothing else!! No disk, no nothing, NADA. I was so upset!! I called
                        them right away and the woman was very apologetic and first offered me a
                        free week of Ancestry.com, and said she'd get another one right in the
                        mail to me as soon as I returned the booklet to them. So I said, "Hey,
                        wait a minute, that doesn't fly with me" and so we dickered and talked
                        some more - I finally told her that I wanted my money back, because I
                        don't want to wait another four weeks for the software, especially since
                        my free trial is over in a few days. I thought it would be easier just
                        to go out and buy it somewhere.

                        But as we were talking I did a quick check on the web and found that the
                        amount I paid with Ancestry.com is much lower than what they're selling
                        it for at other places - I paid around $32, and Fry's has it for $50,
                        which really surprised me. After being on the phone with them for a
                        while (she had to talk to her manager several times), they came back
                        with an offer of sending me a free copy of FamilyTree Maker 2006 (the
                        new version that's just coming out), and the free week of Ancestry.com.
                        Since the new software is quite expensive, I said ok. So now I'm
                        sitting here waiting another (probably) four weeks for my software to
                        come....what a frustrating experience!!

                        I hope no one else has had that problem??

                        Roberta

                        Roberta Kendall

                        robtakendall@...

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Roberta and all,

                          The census records are released every 10 years due to "privacy records" or whatever. The 1930 census was released in 2002, therefore, the 1940 records will be released in 2012.
                          I did find my father who is 80, in the 1930 census but my mother was still in the womb! I wont get to see her actually in the census for another 7 years....
                          Good luck in your search!

                          Mary Lou

                          I have a question - why can't we find census records for 1940 and after?
                          Have always wondered - I realize that they probably weren't hand-written
                          at that time, but why don't we have access to them?

                          Thanks much,

                          Roberta in CA : )

                          "Those who care, DON'T COUNT--
                          Those who count, DON'T CARE"

                        • Dyan Comet
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 4, 2005
                            Roberta,

                            Thanks for the heads up. I have never liked Ancestry! Yeah, they have lots of info but I just don't like their attitude. I get stuff from them telling me they have info, then I go and they expect me to pay for everything.

                            Thanks again for letting us know about your frustrating experience with them.

                            Diane

[...]

                            Genealogy research Genealogy information

                          • linda buss
                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 5, 2005
                              roberta i know that it is frustrating trying to get
                              census records, up here in canada due to privacy
                              issues census records are not opened for 100 years i
                              am trying to trace my mothers family, all of whom
                              except one have passed away, who could it hurt if the
                              census records are released say after 70 years? groups
                              up here in canada are working on that issue maybe you
                              could get groups down in the us to try the same thing
                              --- Mary Lou <babylou52@...> wrote:

                              ---------------------------------
[...]

                              Terms of Service.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • jonczar@copper.net
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 5, 2005
                                Roberta
                                You lost money in the exchange. I just received an offer for the new 2006 version. It costs about $29 for the upgrade. If they send you the full version it might be worth it, but I expect they will send the update.
                                Good LUCK!
                                Jon

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 8, 2005
                                  They said they would send me the full version because I have received
                                  NOTHING so far. (if I get less than that, I'll be on the horn to them
                                  immediately, don't worry ; )

                                  Roberta

                                  Roberta Kendall

                                  robtakendall@...

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 8, 2005
                                    I have never had a problem with these people or their
                                    products. I think they are aok

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    Lois

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • SherAnn Nelson

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                                        As with any genealogy research, you look at the references that were
                                        used. There are many records online including ancestry that are
                                        transcriptions of acutal records. These transcriptions should be used
                                        to order or look at the actual record for verification that the
                                        transcriber did a good job. Mistakes are always made.

                                        There are also information online including ancestry that are
                                        submitted by fellow researchers. Use those records to help you figure
                                        out where you need to look for primary sources. You should also email
                                        the submitter to ask for their sources/documentation of the
                                        genealogy. If they can not provide it then I would say that it is
                                        hearsay and not fact.

                                        As for documentation that give different info on the same person there
                                        are many reasons for this. One is that the information was not always
                                        supplied by the individual but by a relative. Two is that accents or
                                        broken English also played a factor in it. Three is that sometimes
                                        people actually lied especially when it came down to American Indian
                                        heritage. My ancestor claimed she was white and not Indian on all
                                        records because of the stigma of being American Indian at that time.

                                        Remember that even genealogist are human and errors are made. You
                                        just have to use as many sources as is possible and check the original
                                        records/sources.

                                        Hope this helps.

                                        TolkSteel

                                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, SherAnn Nelson
                                        <littlebit_1972_69@y...> wrote:
                                        > I subscribed to Ancestary.com and found a lot of info then found
                                        some wrong info I have a hard time desifering the wrong info and the
                                        right
                                        have been removed]
                                      • Sally
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                                          No matter *where* you get your information, you must verify it & have accurate sources. The digital census copies on Ancestry.com are just about perfect sources *except* the census is only as accurate as the information that was given & the information that was written down.

                                          Ancestry.com provides some prime sources for us that save a lot of travel time & $$$. There is no way they can guarantee the accuracy. If you get any information at all from the family tree section, you must prove each & every step. Very few people provide sources when they provide those trees. I use that section as a *suggestion* of ancestors, only.

                                          Remember, even birth records can be wrong & death certificates are without doubt one of the prime sources for errors. It is up to each genealogist to verify the information they find, even information from old books can be very, very wrong. And even hundreds of years ago people fabricated family histories.

                                          Ancestry.com has provided us with a most valuable resource that is gold when used correctly. If you check their site, they give you lots of information on how to use their information.
                                          Sally

                                          I subscribed to Ancestary.com and found a lot of info then found some wrong info I have a hard time desifering the wrong info and the right

                                          Gwen Hopkins <ldytramp@...> wrote:
                                          I belong to Ancestry.com and have found that it is very helpful. I can't aford to travel around to gather all of the information that can be found on the site. The census reports for instance. you can view the actual page of the report then save it to your hard drive. They are posting more data bases all the time. They have different subscriptions so you can just subscrib to the area's that you are interested in. Geneolgy.com is a sister site so a subscription to one or the other is really all that you would need if choosing to subscrib to one or the other of those sites.

                                        • Tina Paxton
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Aug 12, 2005
                                            Amen!! Verify, verify, verify. Find multiple sources for everything and
                                            the closer to a primary source it is, the better. Will all the sources
                                            match? Unfortunately, no. But, you should be able to get pretty darn close
                                            with a number of different resources to compare to one another.

                                            If the information is from another genealogist who did not provide their
                                            sources, I don't even put it into my data files. I write it down in a
                                            separate notebook until I can find other sources that back it up.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 13, 2005
                                                Hi Laraine,
                                                I don't know of any jewish sites, but I will help you if you give me what info you have on him.

                                                laraine Gill <witchoneau@...> wrote:

                                                Hi
                                                I'm trying to trace my maternalGGF his surname is
                                                Meekcom and the only reference to that name has been
                                                of a Jewish holocaust(?sp) survivor, so I am wondering
                                                if they were Jewish and if so is there a website I can
                                                go to so I can check.
                                                Thanks
                                                Laraine

                                                Try Yahoo! Photomail Beta: Send up to 300 photos in one email!
                                                http://au.photomail.mail.yahoo.com

                                                Genealogy research Genealogy information

                                                Tammy Jenigan

                                              • Roberta Kendall
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                                  Laraine, I am currently tracing Jewish ancestors and am using some
                                                  wonderful sites.

                                                  I suggest you go to the library and check out "Genealogy Online for
                                                  Dummies" - I know the title isn't great, but it comes with a CD on the
                                                  back cover that holds, among other things, LOTS of urls that you can
                                                  check. The book itself has so many helpful sites listed in it that I've
                                                  decided to buy it. It's $24.99 new, so I'm going to try and find it
                                                  used.

                                                  One of them is JewishGen, an organization based in New York. That's one
                                                  of the first places I started with, before I went to the library. You
                                                  can check JewishGen for relatives without becoming a member (it's free
                                                  anyway). You can also do a general search on Yahoo or Google for Jewish
                                                  genealogy organizations/Jewish people in the 1800's/Jews killed in the
                                                  Holocaust, you name it - you'll be surprised at how much comes up. I've
                                                  been able to come up with names going back to the early 1800's that way.

                                                  I also suggest joining Ancestry.com. They have a monthly rate that is
                                                  much more affordable than what they advertise. Just call them. It's
                                                  arouind $36. Also try the LDS site. Even though it's LDS, I have come
                                                  up with TONS of leads on it, some that weren't on the Jewish sites.

                                                  Also castlegarden.org (the place before Ellis Island got set up), the
                                                  Ellis Island site, and www.stevemorse.org, which is an invaluable site
                                                  for doing searches.

                                                  That should keep you busy for a while. : )

                                                  Roberta

                                                  Roberta Kendall

                                                  robtakendall@...

[...]

                                                  Genealogy
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+research&w1=Genealogy+res
                                                  earch&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=s-JonNO38gND3RJ-5wZPtQ>
                                                  research Genealogy
                                                  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genealogy+information&w1=Genealogy+
                                                  research&w2=Genealogy+information&c=2&s=51&.sig=DAxXPdN5WW_ul2lNFtt71w>
                                                  information

                                                  _____

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                                    Try this too:

                                                    http://www.usgenweb.org/projects/index.shtml

                                                    There are TONS of sites out there, you'll find that one leads to more.
                                                    I do suggest buying that book though.

                                                    Roberta

                                                    Roberta Kendall

                                                    robtakendall@...

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Aug 14, 2005
                                                      Hi Tamela
                                                      His name is/was William Meekcom and he was born in
                                                      England he married Eliza Lily Freeman and as far as we
                                                      know only had 1 daughter (my grandmother) who of
                                                      course died before I got bitten by the genealogy bug.
                                                      We have no other info. on him
                                                      Laraine

                                                    • omadarlin_2000
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Aug 15, 2005
                                                        Cassandra,

                                                        Thank you so much for this bit of information! I just got caught up
                                                        on my genealogy emails this weekend and, being too stingy to invest in
                                                        $$$$.com, have had a TON of fun looking through the Heritage Quest
                                                        census records.

                                                        One of the most interesting finds was that my maternal g-father's dad
                                                        (Lew) boarded next door to my maternal g-mother's parents (Albert &
                                                        Yvonne). Who would have guessed that years later Lew's son would
                                                        marry Albert & Yvonne's baby girl! My grandmother didn't even know
                                                        they had been neighbors. I also found Alberts
                                                        emigration/naturalization dates. Yippee!

                                                        This is too much fun!

                                                        Heather in Cincy