NEW!! HELP!!

  • rebel_femme_357
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello all...I am new to the genealogy researching...and I really dont
      know where to start...I would like some help in knowing which websites
      are the best to join in looking for family that I dont know much
      about...there are so many out there with many different $$$...so if you
      could give me some direction I would sure appreciate it...:}
      PS..I am also very new to forums and am not sure how to navigate too
      well yet...!
    • Tammy Jernigan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hello,
        Well you have started in the right place, just let us have some info on who you are searching for and we will guide you in the right direction.

        TAMMY JERNIGAN

      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
          Where to start: Start with what you know and work from there...go from the
          known to the unknown because otherwise you will end up researching the wrong
          people. So, that means start with yourself, then your parents, then your
          grandparents, then their parents....one step at a time.

          Gather information from personal interviews, birth certificates, marriage
          licenses, death certificates, cemetery records/tombstones. Try to confirm
          each piece of information through at least two sources but more is better.
          Once you have worked back to 1930, you can begin using the census records.
          Remember three things: document, document, document.

          There are free websites with a wealth of information...even free census
          data. There are some things that the "pay-for" sites have that can't be had
          elsewhere but I'd gather as much as you can before going there. I think
          they make it seem like they have tons of info on your ancestors but they may
          or may not and if you haven't done your homework first, you could end up
          chasing a rabbit trail.

          The LDS family history site can be a good source (especially for the 1880
          census) but please keep in mind: the information is provided by people and
          has NOT been verified. I've gotten good information there and I've found
          garbage there, too. The only way you'll know the difference is by doing
          your homework....document, document, document.

          I'll give you one website that is absolutely invaluable: www.cyndislist.com
          here you will find all kinds of great stuff...websites, history, how-to's...

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
            go to Roots web or Genealogy.com these are free
            message boards. Have good hunting.

            --- rebel_femme_357 <rebel_femme_357@...> wrote:

            > Hello all...I am new to the genealogy
            > researching...and I really dont
            > know where to start...I would like some help in
            > knowing which websites
            > are the best to join in looking for family that I
            > dont know much
            > about...there are so many out there with many
            > different $$$...so if you
            > could give me some direction I would sure appreciate
            > it...:}
            > PS..I am also very new to forums and am not sure how
            > to navigate too
            > well yet...!

            Lois

            Discover Yahoo!