Adolphus Hall ...Revolutionary and Civil War Soldier

  • connielee731
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2005
      The following came from my great great grandfather's obit.

      "The death of Mr. Adolphus Hall, on the 23rd ult., aged 86 years,
      severs the union between the old and the new army--- the army of
      1812 and 1861--- in Perry County, as we believe he is the last of
      the 1812 soldiers in this county. Mr. Hall also served in the war of
      1861, in Easton's Battery, Pennsylvania Reserves. He was in the
      battles of Mechanicsville and Gaine's Hill, on the Peninsula. Mr.
      Hall's father, who had emigrated from England and settled in
      Tuscarora Valley, Juniata County, was a lawyer by profession, and
      practiced in the courts of Lewisburg and Lewistown. It was the old
      veteran's frequent request that he should be buried by the honors of
      war. He was buried as he requested, wrapped in the old flag that he
      fought under in two wars. He was a member of the Reformed Church.
      The old hero was a man of great muscular power and size, being six
      feet three inches in height. Many interesting incidents could be
      related about him. At the battle of Gaine's Hill the Rebs got among
      the guns of his Battery, and the old man used the ramrod of one of
      the cannon to batter them over the head."

      I have several copies of his military records which are very
      interesting.

      I have to leave for my daughter's play now so will finish this
      later. Just wanted to add to your request for Memorial Day!

      Connie L. Kirstner-Legersky