From Moderator

  • Tina Stedman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 26, 2005
      If anyone would have bothered to continue to read what I posted, you
      would have gotten to an article about a gentleman from Luxemberg who
      is still honoring Americans for their sacrifice to save his country.
      He does free research in his little town for any American looking for
      ancestors in his town. He expects no payment. He is honoring the
      sacrifice of the men who died in his town and at the battle of the bulge.

      Second, military records give you clues and proof to whom your
      ancestors were. They document their birth, their death, and even
      their marriages and in some cases the birth of their children. They
      also give you clues into what type of education your ancestor may have
      had or what type of job your ancestor did. These records can also
      give you locations your ancestor has lived and even if they bought
      land or a house. Genealogy should NEVER stop at just names and dates
      but should also include who these young men and women were.

      As for being an International Club, I never stated that and most of
      the posts written here are about US Genealogy. Some of us have had
      the great opportunity to have found our immigrant ancestors and start
      searching overseas but if we took a poll of what genealogy we were
      doing it would overwhelming be US Genealogy. Yet, if we wish to get
      into the details, many other countries have fought along side the US
      including Germany and France in our fight. Many are buried here in
      the US and get honored the same as our fallen. There are many
      websites out there dedicated to learning more about these brave men
      who traveled over the seas to fight here. Internationally there are
      many countries who honor the men and women who have served in their
      countries. It just isn't the same day as here. Many international
      genealogy websites include military records for instance Holland
      records have indexes of men who served Napaoleon. You are more than
      invited to honor your ancestors that have fought in wars overseas. I
      will refrain from bashing your country if you will give me the same
      respect.

      Military records hold alot of information that is valuable to a
      genealogist. Don't discredit the records or dishonor the men and
      women who served just because you have a differing opinion.

      I will not post messages that do not stick to the genealogy aspect of
      this discussion and only voice opinion. I want stories of particular
      ancestors who have served. That is what I am intrested in.

      Tina Stedman