RE: [Genealogy Research Club] A few newbie questions

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2005
      Well, for Georgia, you won't. Georgia wasn't "homesteaded" in the same way
      that the western states were. I believe the land was raffled off. As I
      recall, I found a couple files about this on a website but I have lost the
      link. Try looking on Cyndi's list. If you are researching GA, prepare for
      a difficult paper chase. I have ancestors in GA and it's been hard search.

      [For those looking for western states, the Bureau of Land Management/General
      Land Office (BLM/GLO) people have a website. Again, I lost the site due to
      computer crash. You should be able to find it easy enough with a google
      search. From there you can do a search for land patents. If you find that
      your ancestor had a homestead, you can order their homestead file from them.
      It will contain lots of great information including their naturalization
      papers if they had to obtain their citizenship.]