Re: [Genealogy Research Club] How Do I Start?

  • Andrea
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 16, 2005
      I would start by getting your birth certificate it should show his name and date of birth and where he was born. Then get his birth certificate and look from there.

      Andrea

      soapmaker30 <soapmaker30@...> wrote:

      Hi everybody, I am a new member and I just
      got interested in my other side of the family.
      My parents never married and my mother is now
      dead. She never talked about my father except
      to tell me his name. How do I go about looking
      for his side of the family? All I know is his
      name is Allen Lee Hille and he was from Ohio.
      I don't even know if he was born there or not.
      Could someone give me some pointers please?
      Thanks Olivia.

    • 9kats
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 16, 2005
        Has your father died already? Do you have any dates? Approximate dates of birth and death? What was your mothers name? And her maiden name? Their are some Hille's in Ohio but we would need to know a time frame. Your mothers name and dob & dod would help to make a connection. Had she always lived in Ohio? Let us know if you can supply any further information.
        Cheryl

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 16, 2005
          Hi Olivia ... Welcome ... I am sure many will have suggestions for you, all of which will be good. My suggestion is to go to http://www.lds.org/ .... there you will go down the left-hand column and find "Family History" ... click on that, and it will take you to a page that will explain things to you, as well as what to do and how/where to start. Also, if you plan on working on this on the computer, if you go to the download page there, there is a program .PAF (Personal Ancestry File) which you can download and be able to construct your family tree with. It is an excellant tool and it is free! Also, you can do look-ups there free ... and you will also get Social Security History for the individual, if it exists. This site is a wonderful resource, especially for beginners. :) Best of luck and if I may be of any further assisstance please email me personally. I have many, many Genealogy pages saved. Another one everyone uses is http://www.Cindy'sList.com, also,
          http://www.rootsweb.org/ and http://www.Genweb.com/

          Blessings,

          Dee Rettig ~ Mt. Pleasant, Mi

          If God brings you to it, He can bring you through it!

          "The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts." ~

        • Dee Rettig
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 17, 2005
            Olivia, I have to apologize, (and to all) about 2 of the links I gave you which were wrong. You probably have the correct ones by now, but, just in case, here are the correct links:

            http://www.usgenweb.com/

            http://www.cyndislist.com/

            Sorry ... :)

            Dee ~

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2005
              I would suggest going to myfamily.com they have something called people
              search. for 10.00 you can search that name in all the states and it will give you
              all public information available . Or for I think 30.00 you can have it for
              3 months but it has been very useful for me. Most of the time they have the
              phone number along with the address and you can call or write. It will
              email you the list or u can print it out but I wish you well in your quest.
              Tara