My Brick Wall Ancestor

  • Dee
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
      My brick wall is JOHN RANDOLPH HUGGINS (or HUGGANS).
      He was born 20 June 1813 in VA and died 20 Jun 1903 in
      WV.

      I found him on the Proctor District Wetzel County 1860
      census as JOHN B. HOGENS. On the (also Proctor
      District) 1870 census, his name was JOHN R. HEGGINS.
      On the (again Proctor District) 1880 census, his name
      was JOHN R. HUGGANS. (He spelled his name Huggans
      although it was Huggins - some of his sons did the
      same).

      According to Charles E. Huggins' book ("Huggins
      families of western Pennsylvania and northern West
      Virginia"):

      "John used to work as a Riverboat pilot on the Ohio
      river (as well as being a farmer).

      John and Ann's first child was born 1852. It is not
      known why their names were not included in the Wetzel
      Co., WV census record taken in 1850.

      John was said to have come down the Ohio River with
      two of his brothers. According to Bud Huggins (now
      deceased) of Martinsville, WV, the brothers decided to
      split up. One went south, one went west while John
      settled at Procotor's Run.

      Since John's birthplace was given as "born in VA", it
      seems that his parents should have been listed in one
      of the up-river VA counties from where John settled,
      which would narrow the list of possible counties to
      Ohio and Brooke counties of VA in the panhandle - Ohio
      River area of VA (now WV). Hancock County was part of
      Brooke County until 1848. The only Huggins family
      recorded in the 1920 census of that area was Thomas
      and Catherine (Stroop) Huggins who settled in the Ohio
      Co., VA area which is now Marshall County.

      John was totally blind during his later years. They
      struck oil on his farm after John told a man by the
      name of Mr. Benedum to place his finger on his pulse
      and, although blind, he led Mr. Benedum to the spot
      where he wanted him to drill the well. Benedum leased
      the land and found oil where John had told him it
      would be."

      John was married to ANNA BARBARA EDDY. He married her
      when he was 48 years old so I wonder if he had been
      married previously. Did he have other children??

      I really hoped I'd be able to go back a few more
      generations on the Huggins side as I have with other
      ancestors.

      John R. is my biggest brick wall - I would love to
      break through it!

      dee
    • Dee
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
        The bulk of my ancestors were from VA (or VA prior to
        WV statehood in 1863).

        HUGGINS: John Randolph, Oliver T., Gansen Eddy,
        Sanford, Armina, Thomas, Cyrus, Francis Marion, Wiley
        Webster, Curtis Wiley, Orville Ray.

        EDDY: Anna Barbara, Gowen, Prudence, George W.,
        Nancy, Alexander (b. NJ), Gorien (b. NJ) & John (b.
        NJ).

        DUNHAM: The first I know of was David (b. 1785-1790)
        who had 2 sons (James and Richard born 1819 and 1821).
        James married Mary Ann Goodrich and they had 10
        children (George, Anthony, Catherine, James M., Mary ,
        Eliza Jane, John L., Nelson, Samuel D. & Walter). My
        ancestor was Nelson who was born 6 Sep 1861 and died
        30 Oct 1928.

        Nelson Dunham married Prudence A. Blake and they had 8
        children (Hanna, Emma Leota, Henry W., Nathan, Levi
        Titus, Austie V., Frank and Joseph F.) My ancestor
        was Emma Leota who was born 7 Jan 1885 and died 29 Dec
        1947).

        Emma Leota Dunham married Wiley Webster Huggins.

        I wish I could reach back before David Dunham. Also,
        I don't have very much info on the siblings to my
        direct Dunham ancestors.

        Thanks,
        dee