Re: [Genealogy Research Club] roll call

  • Karen Minnemeyer
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 9 10:57 AM
      Here is a partial list of my surnames. For some I
      have a great deal of info, for others very little.
      Glassbrenner, Germany, Pennsylvania
      Ritter (Anna), Germany
      Fishcher (Elizabeha), Pennsylvania
      Glassburn, PA, VA, & IN
      Carpenter (Elizabeth), VA & IN
      Persinger (Mary), VA & IN
      Parnell (Margaret), KY & IN
      Doty (Victoria), NY (?) & IN
      Minnemyer, IN
      Dunn (Elizabeth), PA & IN
      Smear, IN
      Fletcher, IN
      Strubb, IN

      Thank You,
      Karen

      =====
      Karen E. Minnemeyer
      kamiki1@...

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Dee
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10 11:48 AM
        My brick wall is JOHN RANDOLPH HUGGINS (or HUGGANS).
        He was born 20 June 1813 in VA and died 20 Jun 1903 in
        WV.

        I found him on the Proctor District Wetzel County 1860
        census as JOHN B. HOGENS. On the (also Proctor
        District) 1870 census, his name was JOHN R. HEGGINS.
        On the (again Proctor District) 1880 census, his name
        was JOHN R. HUGGANS. (He spelled his name Huggans
        although it was Huggins - some of his sons did the
        same).

        According to Charles E. Huggins' book ("Huggins
        families of western Pennsylvania and northern West
        Virginia"):

        "John used to work as a Riverboat pilot on the Ohio
        river (as well as being a farmer).

        John and Ann's first child was born 1852. It is not
        known why their names were not included in the Wetzel
        Co., WV census record taken in 1850.

        John was said to have come down the Ohio River with
        two of his brothers. According to Bud Huggins (now
        deceased) of Martinsville, WV, the brothers decided to
        split up. One went south, one went west while John
        settled at Procotor's Run.

        Since John's birthplace was given as "born in VA", it
        seems that his parents should have been listed in one
        of the up-river VA counties from where John settled,
        which would narrow the list of possible counties to
        Ohio and Brooke counties of VA in the panhandle - Ohio
        River area of VA (now WV). Hancock County was part of
        Brooke County until 1848. The only Huggins family
        recorded in the 1920 census of that area was Thomas
        and Catherine (Stroop) Huggins who settled in the Ohio
        Co., VA area which is now Marshall County.

        John was totally blind during his later years. They
        struck oil on his farm after John told a man by the
        name of Mr. Benedum to place his finger on his pulse
        and, although blind, he led Mr. Benedum to the spot
        where he wanted him to drill the well. Benedum leased
        the land and found oil where John had told him it
        would be."

        John was married to ANNA BARBARA EDDY. He married her
        when he was 48 years old so I wonder if he had been
        married previously. Did he have other children??

        I really hoped I'd be able to go back a few more
        generations on the Huggins side as I have with other
        ancestors.

        John R. is my biggest brick wall - I would love to
        break through it!

        dee
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10 12:00 PM
          The bulk of my ancestors were from VA (or VA prior to
          WV statehood in 1863).

          HUGGINS: John Randolph, Oliver T., Gansen Eddy,
          Sanford, Armina, Thomas, Cyrus, Francis Marion, Wiley
          Webster, Curtis Wiley, Orville Ray.

          EDDY: Anna Barbara, Gowen, Prudence, George W.,
          Nancy, Alexander (b. NJ), Gorien (b. NJ) & John (b.
          NJ).

          DUNHAM: The first I know of was David (b. 1785-1790)
          who had 2 sons (James and Richard born 1819 and 1821).
          James married Mary Ann Goodrich and they had 10
          children (George, Anthony, Catherine, James M., Mary ,
          Eliza Jane, John L., Nelson, Samuel D. & Walter). My
          ancestor was Nelson who was born 6 Sep 1861 and died
          30 Oct 1928.

          Nelson Dunham married Prudence A. Blake and they had 8
          children (Hanna, Emma Leota, Henry W., Nathan, Levi
          Titus, Austie V., Frank and Joseph F.) My ancestor
          was Emma Leota who was born 7 Jan 1885 and died 29 Dec
          1947).

          Emma Leota Dunham married Wiley Webster Huggins.

          I wish I could reach back before David Dunham. Also,
          I don't have very much info on the siblings to my
          direct Dunham ancestors.

          Thanks,
          dee