have you ever heard of..

  • debhsmo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      This is a little OT and I am sorry, but have any of you ever heard of a
      cemetery that would not let you take pictures of the names on the tombstones?

      My college age daughter (my genealogy helper) is taking photograpy one class.
      She has a project of close up/ far away sets. So she thought she would like
      to go to one of the big cemeteries around. So we drove into KC to a big one.
      She only had 3 more sets of pictures to take. (My grandmother is buried
      here, but doesn't have an "interesting" stone). This cemetery is also the
      resting place of many KC notables and was also a civil war battlefied area. Ok,
      she finds 3 interesting things. She ask me some questions about the cemetery
      and we talk a little. I say, lets stop at the office on our way out and you go
      in and see if they have anything about the history of the place (they didn't
      but gave her a list of the notables buried), but then they tell her she cant
      take pictures of the names on the tombstones. She says oh ok, but didn't tell
      them she already has taken 2 (the third one was of a statue outside the
      masaleum (sp) ). I am sure they have security cameras all around.

      She said she almost asked them, what about family genealogists? Now I can
      understand if you were going to publish them, but am stumped on the other
      unless it is identify theft kinda thing.

      Oh well, thanks for reading.

      Deb in MO