Re: [Genealogy Research Club] roll call

  • Mary Lou
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
      glenda brown <glenda@...> wrote:Thank you very much. Can you tell me what year this was and where you found it?
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Mary Lou
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:34 PM
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] roll call

      ******THIS WAS FOUND AT WWW.HERITAGEQUESTONLINE.COM IN THE 1910 CENSUS, ARKANSAS, LOGAN COUNTY, RIVER TWP

      All I found was this........

      (SERIES: T624 ROLL: 56 PAGE: 167)

      1910-ARKANSAS-LOGAN COUNTY-RIVER TWP

      92-121-121-STOVER, EDWARD D. -HEAD-M-W-56-WD-ARKANSAS-PENNSYLVANIA-PENNSYLVANIA-PILOT-FERRY BOAT-

      93-121-121-STOVER, JAMES -SON -M-W-16-S -ARKANSAS-MISSOURI-ARKANSAS-NONE-

      94-121-121-STOVER, ROSIE -DAU -F-W-14-S -ARKANSAS-MISSOURI-ARKANSAS-NONE-

    • Karen Minnemeyer
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
        Here is a partial list of my surnames. For some I
        have a great deal of info, for others very little.
        Glassbrenner, Germany, Pennsylvania
        Ritter (Anna), Germany
        Fishcher (Elizabeha), Pennsylvania
        Glassburn, PA, VA, & IN
        Carpenter (Elizabeth), VA & IN
        Persinger (Mary), VA & IN
        Parnell (Margaret), KY & IN
        Doty (Victoria), NY (?) & IN
        Minnemyer, IN
        Dunn (Elizabeth), PA & IN
        Smear, IN
        Fletcher, IN
        Strubb, IN

        Thank You,
        Karen

        =====
        Karen E. Minnemeyer
        kamiki1@...

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Dee
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
          My brick wall is JOHN RANDOLPH HUGGINS (or HUGGANS).
          He was born 20 June 1813 in VA and died 20 Jun 1903 in
          WV.

          I found him on the Proctor District Wetzel County 1860
          census as JOHN B. HOGENS. On the (also Proctor
          District) 1870 census, his name was JOHN R. HEGGINS.
          On the (again Proctor District) 1880 census, his name
          was JOHN R. HUGGANS. (He spelled his name Huggans
          although it was Huggins - some of his sons did the
          same).

          According to Charles E. Huggins' book ("Huggins
          families of western Pennsylvania and northern West
          Virginia"):

          "John used to work as a Riverboat pilot on the Ohio
          river (as well as being a farmer).

          John and Ann's first child was born 1852. It is not
          known why their names were not included in the Wetzel
          Co., WV census record taken in 1850.

          John was said to have come down the Ohio River with
          two of his brothers. According to Bud Huggins (now
          deceased) of Martinsville, WV, the brothers decided to
          split up. One went south, one went west while John
          settled at Procotor's Run.

          Since John's birthplace was given as "born in VA", it
          seems that his parents should have been listed in one
          of the up-river VA counties from where John settled,
          which would narrow the list of possible counties to
          Ohio and Brooke counties of VA in the panhandle - Ohio
          River area of VA (now WV). Hancock County was part of
          Brooke County until 1848. The only Huggins family
          recorded in the 1920 census of that area was Thomas
          and Catherine (Stroop) Huggins who settled in the Ohio
          Co., VA area which is now Marshall County.

          John was totally blind during his later years. They
          struck oil on his farm after John told a man by the
          name of Mr. Benedum to place his finger on his pulse
          and, although blind, he led Mr. Benedum to the spot
          where he wanted him to drill the well. Benedum leased
          the land and found oil where John had told him it
          would be."

          John was married to ANNA BARBARA EDDY. He married her
          when he was 48 years old so I wonder if he had been
          married previously. Did he have other children??

          I really hoped I'd be able to go back a few more
          generations on the Huggins side as I have with other
          ancestors.

          John R. is my biggest brick wall - I would love to
          break through it!

          dee
        • Dee
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
            The bulk of my ancestors were from VA (or VA prior to
            WV statehood in 1863).

            HUGGINS: John Randolph, Oliver T., Gansen Eddy,
            Sanford, Armina, Thomas, Cyrus, Francis Marion, Wiley
            Webster, Curtis Wiley, Orville Ray.

            EDDY: Anna Barbara, Gowen, Prudence, George W.,
            Nancy, Alexander (b. NJ), Gorien (b. NJ) & John (b.
            NJ).

            DUNHAM: The first I know of was David (b. 1785-1790)
            who had 2 sons (James and Richard born 1819 and 1821).
            James married Mary Ann Goodrich and they had 10
            children (George, Anthony, Catherine, James M., Mary ,
            Eliza Jane, John L., Nelson, Samuel D. & Walter). My
            ancestor was Nelson who was born 6 Sep 1861 and died
            30 Oct 1928.

            Nelson Dunham married Prudence A. Blake and they had 8
            children (Hanna, Emma Leota, Henry W., Nathan, Levi
            Titus, Austie V., Frank and Joseph F.) My ancestor
            was Emma Leota who was born 7 Jan 1885 and died 29 Dec
            1947).

            Emma Leota Dunham married Wiley Webster Huggins.

            I wish I could reach back before David Dunham. Also,
            I don't have very much info on the siblings to my
            direct Dunham ancestors.

            Thanks,
            dee