Re: [Genealogy Research Club] roll call

  • glenda brown
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 31, 2005
      Thank you very much. Can you tell me what year this was and where you found it?
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
        glenda brown <glenda@...> wrote:Thank you very much. Can you tell me what year this was and where you found it?
        92-121-121-STOVER, EDWARD D. -HEAD-M-W-56-WD-ARKANSAS-PENNSYLVANIA-PENNSYLVANIA-PILOT-FERRY BOAT-

        93-121-121-STOVER, JAMES -SON -M-W-16-S -ARKANSAS-MISSOURI-ARKANSAS-NONE-

        94-121-121-STOVER, ROSIE -DAU -F-W-14-S -ARKANSAS-MISSOURI-ARKANSAS-NONE-

      • Karen Minnemeyer
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 9, 2005
          Here is a partial list of my surnames. For some I
          have a great deal of info, for others very little.
          Glassbrenner, Germany, Pennsylvania
          Ritter (Anna), Germany
          Fishcher (Elizabeha), Pennsylvania
          Glassburn, PA, VA, & IN
          Carpenter (Elizabeth), VA & IN
          Persinger (Mary), VA & IN
          Parnell (Margaret), KY & IN
          Doty (Victoria), NY (?) & IN
          Minnemyer, IN
          Dunn (Elizabeth), PA & IN
          Smear, IN
          Fletcher, IN
          Strubb, IN

          Thank You,
          Karen

          =====
          Karen E. Minnemeyer
          kamiki1@...

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • Dee
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
            My brick wall is JOHN RANDOLPH HUGGINS (or HUGGANS).
            He was born 20 June 1813 in VA and died 20 Jun 1903 in
            WV.

            I found him on the Proctor District Wetzel County 1860
            census as JOHN B. HOGENS. On the (also Proctor
            District) 1870 census, his name was JOHN R. HEGGINS.
            On the (again Proctor District) 1880 census, his name
            was JOHN R. HUGGANS. (He spelled his name Huggans
            although it was Huggins - some of his sons did the
            same).

            According to Charles E. Huggins' book ("Huggins
            families of western Pennsylvania and northern West
            Virginia"):

            "John used to work as a Riverboat pilot on the Ohio
            river (as well as being a farmer).

            John and Ann's first child was born 1852. It is not
            known why their names were not included in the Wetzel
            Co., WV census record taken in 1850.

            John was said to have come down the Ohio River with
            two of his brothers. According to Bud Huggins (now
            deceased) of Martinsville, WV, the brothers decided to
            split up. One went south, one went west while John
            settled at Procotor's Run.

            Since John's birthplace was given as "born in VA", it
            seems that his parents should have been listed in one
            of the up-river VA counties from where John settled,
            which would narrow the list of possible counties to
            Ohio and Brooke counties of VA in the panhandle - Ohio
            River area of VA (now WV). Hancock County was part of
            Brooke County until 1848. The only Huggins family
            recorded in the 1920 census of that area was Thomas
            and Catherine (Stroop) Huggins who settled in the Ohio
            Co., VA area which is now Marshall County.

            John was totally blind during his later years. They
            struck oil on his farm after John told a man by the
            name of Mr. Benedum to place his finger on his pulse
            and, although blind, he led Mr. Benedum to the spot
            where he wanted him to drill the well. Benedum leased
            the land and found oil where John had told him it
            would be."

            John was married to ANNA BARBARA EDDY. He married her
            when he was 48 years old so I wonder if he had been
            married previously. Did he have other children??

            I really hoped I'd be able to go back a few more
            generations on the Huggins side as I have with other
            ancestors.

            John R. is my biggest brick wall - I would love to
            break through it!

            dee
          • Dee
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 10, 2005
              The bulk of my ancestors were from VA (or VA prior to
              WV statehood in 1863).

              HUGGINS: John Randolph, Oliver T., Gansen Eddy,
              Sanford, Armina, Thomas, Cyrus, Francis Marion, Wiley
              Webster, Curtis Wiley, Orville Ray.

              EDDY: Anna Barbara, Gowen, Prudence, George W.,
              Nancy, Alexander (b. NJ), Gorien (b. NJ) & John (b.
              NJ).

              DUNHAM: The first I know of was David (b. 1785-1790)
              who had 2 sons (James and Richard born 1819 and 1821).
              James married Mary Ann Goodrich and they had 10
              children (George, Anthony, Catherine, James M., Mary ,
              Eliza Jane, John L., Nelson, Samuel D. & Walter). My
              ancestor was Nelson who was born 6 Sep 1861 and died
              30 Oct 1928.

              Nelson Dunham married Prudence A. Blake and they had 8
              children (Hanna, Emma Leota, Henry W., Nathan, Levi
              Titus, Austie V., Frank and Joseph F.) My ancestor
              was Emma Leota who was born 7 Jan 1885 and died 29 Dec
              1947).

              Emma Leota Dunham married Wiley Webster Huggins.

              I wish I could reach back before David Dunham. Also,
              I don't have very much info on the siblings to my
              direct Dunham ancestors.

              Thanks,
              dee