Research question

  • Kathie G
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2005
      I am trying to find my 3x great grandfather's parents. Can anyone tell how to go about doing this? Here is the info that I do have:

      3x Great Grandfather name: Levi Shaffer. Born Jan. 1, 1820. Most probably in Pennsylvania - but I do not know for sure. Died Sept. 21, 1896.

      That's all I have to go on. I do have his wife's info and his children's info, but I am unsure how to go back and find his parents. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Thanks!
      Kathie G
      Kathiejg7@...

    • jbaconsr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
        One way to track down parents is to find the children in some year
        after 1880. That will list the state of the parents birth. In your
        case Levi in 1880 was living in Somerset county Stony Creek twp.:
        Levi Shaffer age 60 born PA father born PA mother born PA
        Isabelle age 55 PA PA PA
        Minnie age 10 PA PA PA
        Eliza Wagner age 72 MD MD MD

        In 1850 Somersey,Somerset PA:
        Ancestry image 55 lists
        John Shaffer
        Eva Shaffer
        image 56 lists
        Jacob Shaffer age 68 born PA
        Catherine age 72 born PA
        image 57lists
        Levi Shaffer age 30 born PA
        Isabel age 25 born PA
        Catherine age 3 born PA
        Samuel age 4/12 born PA
        With Jacob and Catherine being in close proximity to Levi and a
        daughter named Catherine, it's a good bet that some how they are
        related to them.
        In 1860 somerset co,Somerset :
        Levi Shaffer age 40 born PA
        Isabel age 38 born PA
        Catherine age 13 born PA
        Jacob Coleman age 5 born PA
        same page
        Delilah Coleman age 32 born PA
        Cyrus age 14 born PA
        Benjiman age 12 born PA
        James age 3 born PA
        Sarah age 2 born Pa

        1870 Somersetco,Somerset
        Levi Shaffer age 50 born PA
        Isabella age 46 born PA
        Catherine age 22 born PA
        Jacob Coleman age 19 born PA

        1900 Lancasterco ,Little Britian twp
        John C. Shaffer age 42 born 11/1857 m8 PA PA PA
        Margeret J. age 47 born 3/1853 m8 PA PA PA
        Willaim age 7 born 6/1892 PA PA PA
        Edith age 3 born 4/1897 PA PA PA
        next door
        Sarah J. Shaffer age 76 born 12/1823 PA PA PA
        Mary E. age 44 born 5/1856 Pa PA PA
        same page
        Willaim Wilson age 57 born 2/1843 PA PA PA
        Sarah age 58 born 8/1841 PA PA PA
        George Brown (servant) age 15 born 8/1884 PA PA PA
        Isabelle Shaffer age 71 (sister in law)born 3/1829 PA PA PA

        In 1830 Somerset twp lived Jacob Shaffer with at least one son 10
        years of age.

        In 1840 Somerset twp lived John Shaffer(son of Jac) next door to
        Daniel Coleman and Jacob Shaffer(Jacob was younger than John).
        If you dig deep enough ,you should be able find the connecting
        thread in the following years to tie one of them in as being the
        logical parents.Once you narrow it down ,go to the 1850 census to
        get full nmaes and all household members.Watch the neighbors names,
        some times that will be the only way to tie them together.Good luck.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Kathie G"