Re: [Genealogy Research Club] question

  • Dalene
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi Beverly,

      I don't post much here having so many things going at once here. But when I
      saw your message I had to stop and reply. When I was looking for my
      relatives I was looking for the last name Long, which is what I always
      thought it was. I discovered though that a lot of immigrants coming in
      couldn't read or write. The officer taking the information would write down
      what they thought was close to what the immigrant said as a name. It turned
      out my ancestors where originally Lange. All I had was the name Ludwig Long
      to go on and he was supposed to have come from Germany. I started putting in
      various spellings I thought might be close on Ellis Island. Some how I found
      a Lutvig Vonne Longe from a place I had never heard of. When I researched
      the place I discovered it is now part of Germany. I started searching for
      ships records from that time and found the ship. When I started going
      through the passengers I discovered my ancestor was actually Ludwig V. Lange
      It took me a year to cypher all of that out though, so don't give up!

      Dalene

      P.S. Also Ludwig wasn't the original immigrant for my Long side. I found him
      coming back from a visit to see relatives over there. The original was a
      Christian Lange in the late 1600's!

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
        Hi Dalene,

        Thanks for the info. I will give it a try.

        Beverly