Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Hello, a little about me and mine!

  • Yvonne
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2004
      Cyndi

      Thank you so much for replying.
      I have my Grandmothers name, she was Catherine Finegan or Finnegan-
      maiden name) Sheridan and in 1920 she was a widow age 23 living at
      488 11th Avenue,New York and her three children at that time were
      Agnes 7, Thomas 4 (my Dad) and Francis 1.
      In 1930 she was remarried to George Waltenberg and living in West
      New York, New Jersey. By this time she had another son John
      Waltenberg who was born in 1925.
      I was able to get my parents marriage certificate and on that it
      states that my Dad's father was Thomas Sheridan. I have looked at
      the Italian Genealogical Group website and I have found a Thomas
      Sheridan who was from Manhattan and died November 1917, this fits
      with the time scale between my Uncle Francis' birth and the 1920
      census. I feel that this is my Grandfather but of course I do not
      have the proof.
      I know that there is a 1915 New York State Census but this is not
      available to someone like me because I have searched the internet
      and found that it can only be accessed from New York or the LDS
      liraries.
      I spend hours every day searching through available material on the
      internet which is why I said in my message to the group, that I just
      love finding out about where my Father and his parents and family
      lived their lives.
      I did send for my Dad's military records but unfortunately they
      maybe among those that were lost in a fire in 1973. The VA may have
      something because my Dad was wounded quite badly during WWII and was
      awarded the Purple Heart. I have asked them for anything they might
      have but we shall see.
      Enough information now, otherwise I shall bore you all to madness.
      Thank you once again

      Yvonne

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia C Badger

    • marti8354@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Yvonne,
        Hi, I just read your post about trying to locate your Dad's military records. I went through the same thing with the NARA. Write to your state VA office, most are located in the capitol of the state. Give them as much info as you know. I recieved my Dad's records that way.
        If nothing else, write a form letter about your Dad. Send it to every VA office and any other place you can think of!
        Good Luck, Marti