Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Hello, a little about me and mine!

  • Cynthia C Badger
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2004
      what is your grandmothers name? this might help finding who your grandfather.

      cyndi

    • Yvonne
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2004
        Cyndi

        Thank you so much for replying.
        I have my Grandmothers name, she was Catherine Finegan or Finnegan-
        maiden name) Sheridan and in 1920 she was a widow age 23 living at
        488 11th Avenue,New York and her three children at that time were
        Agnes 7, Thomas 4 (my Dad) and Francis 1.
        In 1930 she was remarried to George Waltenberg and living in West
        New York, New Jersey. By this time she had another son John
        Waltenberg who was born in 1925.
        I was able to get my parents marriage certificate and on that it
        states that my Dad's father was Thomas Sheridan. I have looked at
        the Italian Genealogical Group website and I have found a Thomas
        Sheridan who was from Manhattan and died November 1917, this fits
        with the time scale between my Uncle Francis' birth and the 1920
        census. I feel that this is my Grandfather but of course I do not
        have the proof.
        I know that there is a 1915 New York State Census but this is not
        available to someone like me because I have searched the internet
        and found that it can only be accessed from New York or the LDS
        liraries.
        I spend hours every day searching through available material on the
        internet which is why I said in my message to the group, that I just
        love finding out about where my Father and his parents and family
        lived their lives.
        I did send for my Dad's military records but unfortunately they
        maybe among those that were lost in a fire in 1973. The VA may have
        something because my Dad was wounded quite badly during WWII and was
        awarded the Purple Heart. I have asked them for anything they might
        have but we shall see.
        Enough information now, otherwise I shall bore you all to madness.
        Thank you once again

        Yvonne

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia C Badger

      • marti8354@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
          Yvonne,
          Hi, I just read your post about trying to locate your Dad's military records. I went through the same thing with the NARA. Write to your state VA office, most are located in the capitol of the state. Give them as much info as you know. I recieved my Dad's records that way.
          If nothing else, write a form letter about your Dad. Send it to every VA office and any other place you can think of!
          Good Luck, Marti