Hello, a little about me and mine!

  • Yvonne
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2004
      Hello everyone

      My name is Yvonne and I live in Birmingham, England.
      In september I started research into my Father, Thomas Martin
      Sheridan and my family.
      He was a WWII veteran who was born in New york in 1915. I am so
      lucky that I found his US Army discharge papers after my Mother died
      in August this year.
      He married my Mom in December 1945 and my Mom joined him in New
      Jersey in 1946. After six months she became homesick and returned to
      England and my Dad followed and I am so sad to say that he died here
      in England in 1961 without ever returning to his homeland.
      I have been so lucky in having help from different people on a
      lookup forum and have found out who my Grandmother was but
      unfortunately in 1920 she was a widow with three young children
      living in the Hells Kitchen area of New York, so life must have been
      extremely hard.
      What I am doing as a newbie to Genealogy is reading as much as I can
      about the time and place that my family lived in and it is giving me
      a wonderful picture and insight into their lives. I still have to
      find out who my Grandfather was but I feel that it isn't just about
      knowing names.
      I am sitting at my computer for hours on end but am ecstatic with
      every little bit of new information.

      I will keep reading and am so pleased to be a new member of this
      group

      Best wishes to all

      Yvonne
    • Cynthia C Badger
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2004
        what is your grandmothers name? this might help finding who your grandfather.

        cyndi

      • Yvonne
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 19, 2004
          Cyndi

          Thank you so much for replying.
          I have my Grandmothers name, she was Catherine Finegan or Finnegan-
          maiden name) Sheridan and in 1920 she was a widow age 23 living at
          488 11th Avenue,New York and her three children at that time were
          Agnes 7, Thomas 4 (my Dad) and Francis 1.
          In 1930 she was remarried to George Waltenberg and living in West
          New York, New Jersey. By this time she had another son John
          Waltenberg who was born in 1925.
          I was able to get my parents marriage certificate and on that it
          states that my Dad's father was Thomas Sheridan. I have looked at
          the Italian Genealogical Group website and I have found a Thomas
          Sheridan who was from Manhattan and died November 1917, this fits
          with the time scale between my Uncle Francis' birth and the 1920
          census. I feel that this is my Grandfather but of course I do not
          have the proof.
          I know that there is a 1915 New York State Census but this is not
          available to someone like me because I have searched the internet
          and found that it can only be accessed from New York or the LDS
          liraries.
          I spend hours every day searching through available material on the
          internet which is why I said in my message to the group, that I just
          love finding out about where my Father and his parents and family
          lived their lives.
          I did send for my Dad's military records but unfortunately they
          maybe among those that were lost in a fire in 1973. The VA may have
          something because my Dad was wounded quite badly during WWII and was
          awarded the Purple Heart. I have asked them for anything they might
          have but we shall see.
          Enough information now, otherwise I shall bore you all to madness.
          Thank you once again

          Yvonne

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Cynthia C Badger

        • marti8354@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            Yvonne,
            Hi, I just read your post about trying to locate your Dad's military records. I went through the same thing with the NARA. Write to your state VA office, most are located in the capitol of the state. Give them as much info as you know. I recieved my Dad's records that way.
            If nothing else, write a form letter about your Dad. Send it to every VA office and any other place you can think of!
            Good Luck, Marti