where to start if your a novice

  • Faye Parker
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2004
      You DON"T start back 100-200 years ago. You start with what you know. Your parents,aunts uncles, then grandparents their brothers and sisters etc. One of the most common mistakes is going back to the OLD country and trying to work your way forward.

      Proud member of the IBSSG

    • Melissa Abel
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2004
        Wow...then I would say you probably lucked out. If his parents were born in Utah, I would assume they are Mormon. Have you heard of the Church of Latter-Day Saints? Part of their religious training involves detailing their family history. Utah was settled by the founder of the church, John Smith, in the late 1800s and the population is predominantly Mormon. Check out their family history website at www.familysearch.org. This is a free site. Click on the search tab and plug in their names in the various areas such as Ancestral File and see what you come up with. Even if they are not Mormon, it would be a good starting place. ....Melissa Abel

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2004
          --- Hi
          Thanks for the reply. sorry it took so long to reply, I am in Germany
          on business. I am trying to resond via this method, never tried it
          before away from home!
          My father and his family are not morman, they are catholic.
          I have been on their site, in fact it was there where I was able to
          get their DOB. So I know the DOB, for both people, what ai dont know
          what to do is start going backwards!
          I live in the UK, so I dont know the laws or rules. I know if I
          request a bith certificate that I must offer some identification etc!?
          Paul

          In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Melissa Abel"
          <melissa_abel@l...> wrote:
          > Wow...then I would say you probably lucked out. If his parents
          were born in Utah, I would assume they are Mormon. Have you heard of
          the Church of Latter-Day Saints? Part of their religious training
          involves detailing their family history. Utah was settled by the
          founder of the church, John Smith, in the late 1800s and the
          population is predominantly Mormon. Check out their family history
          website at www.familysearch.org. This is a free site. Click on the
          search tab and plug in their names in the various areas such as
          Ancestral File and see what you come up with. Even if they are not
          Mormon, it would be a good starting place. ....Melissa Abel

          http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/defau
          lt.asp?SRC=lycos10
        • Paul Thompson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 2004
            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Lois Edwards
            <loisedwards1946@y...> wrote:
            Hi ,
            Thanks for the reply.
            Their names were Roy Earl Larsen and Romilda Larsen. Both born in
            Utah, I know their DOB, I dont know what to do next!

            The only other "detail" I have is that the paternal line came from
            Denmark. The maternal line was from Ireland. My father thinbks that
            his mothers maiden name was O'Cox. I cant find any record of that
            surname!