Brick Wall!

  • singssilentpoetry
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 21, 2004
      My great grandmother's name was Laura Landers. She married __
      Chapman (and had a daughter - Dorothy I think), but got a divorce
      (she was catholic, she had to hire the famous Earl Rogers of Los
      Angeles to help her with the legalities because it was some kind of
      big deal) & married Daniel Warde a while after(and had a son,
      Robert, my grandfather)

      We think she was born in Manitoba, CAN & moved to California
      sometime, living around San Francisco and/or Los Angeles, but her
      mother was from Muncie Indiana, and her father was from New Orleans.
      I have no idea how to find out their names so i can trace their
      lines back as well. any suggestions?

      Lindsay Warde
    • trailberner
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
        Lindsay,

        Do you know her date of birth, or date & place of death? Death
        records often have parent's names. Records of either one of her
        marriages would have parent's names, even the divorce records.
        You may find information in genealogies (recent publication) of Warde
        or Chapman families.
        There are several on-line resources with searchable databases, most
        of them for a fee. Have you been able to locate her in any Census?
        Does anyone in your family have personal letters that were written to
        or by your g-grandmother? Personal belongings?
        Where was your grandfather born? There may be information on her in
        the town records or newspapers.

        Good luck,
        Pauline Merrick
      • Faye Parker
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
          www.genealogybuff.com has several hundred places to search for surnames, cemetery records, census records and more

          Proud member of the IBSSG

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
            california death records state that lauras mothers maiden name was ryan. thats all i could find so far.

            cyndi

          • Cynthia C Badger
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2004
              this is what is in the california death index.

              WARDE, LAURA FRANCES7 Apr 1959 LOS ANGELES 0 FEMALE 19 Feb 1885 CANADA RYAN

              cyndi

            • sue baker
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2004
                Faye,
                I would like to thank you for this site. I have found
                some of my family by going there. This is a gem.
                Thanks again.
                Sue Baker

                http://vote.yahoo.com