Introduction

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 26 4:19 AM
      Hi Everyone

      I'm new to the group and just wanted to say that I'm glad I found
      this group. I'm a relativly new genealogist, only been working it
      for the past 2 years and still am learning so much about resources,
      techniques, and yes of course family.

      I am currently looking for information on the following families
      Graves, Hassell, Langston, Dean, Collier on my side of the family.

      On my wife's side of the family we are looking at Rasmussen, Helm,
      Fennell, Weir.

      She is from North Dakota and her ancestors immigrated for the most
      part from Europe to Canada in the mid-1800's and then to North
      Dakota in the late 1800's.

      I'm from Texas, my lines came to Texas mostly from North and South
      Carolina, some directly, others by way of Illinois.

      I have the most information on my Langston and Hassell lines thanks
      in a big way to other genealogists and researchers before me.

      What an all consuming hobby I've found.

      Randy
    • sbrina40
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
        Hi,
        I'm new to this page and wanted to introduce myself, my name is
        Kellyann/Sbrina40.
        I am searching for the following surnames:
        Collins, Fraser/Frazer, Freeman, Hamilton, Meuse/Muise, McFee, Landry,
        Lynch, Parson, Sheppard and Whitney.
        At one point after 1900 my family all lived in Massachusetts, before
        this some from Nova Scotia, Ireland, New Foundland, Maine U.S.A. and
        possibly Scotland.
        I have three web sites of different interest I have posted my personal
        page in the links. I Also coordinate the Somerville and Cambridge
        GenWeb pages, Cambridge should be up soon.
        Looking forward to hearing from people.
      • Laurie Bates
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
          Hi, I am Laurie BATES living here in Lansing. I am researching my mother's paternal side of the family, STRICKLAND, and the history of the BATES family farm in Laingsburg. I find that I can work on one project to let my mind rest from the other one. Then when I need to; I go back to the other research and let that one rest.

          G Grandp Lewis Abijah came to MI in 1865 from Carlton, Orleans Co., New York.
          He settled in Eaton Co. after he married his first wife, Emily (not my g grandm)
          Mostly he was in Chester area and then Charlotte. He was Postmaster at the Chester Postoffice in the 1890's. He was widowed and married Ella (my g grandm) and their youngest is my grandp Lewis Joseph.

          In New York Lewis A left behind his father, Charles Wellington, numerous brothers, his Grandp Jesse (? middle name), and many uncles and all their families.

          Well, I don't want to over do my first entry in the group with a overload of info.

          Great to be here,
          Laurie Bates (STRICKLAND)
          Lansing/Laingsburg

        • Mechelle Wallace
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 25 4:16 PM
            Hello to everyone,

            I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle, and I live in Fresno, CA.  Like a lot of people, I waited too long to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.

            Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
            They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
            I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b. abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing puzzle piece.
            Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham b. 1817 in MO. or KY.

            The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big roadblock).
            My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones, White, Moody, and Cook.

            I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would appreciate any help that you can give.

            Mechelle

          • Barbara Sack
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
              Hi Michelle,
              Do you know what county Joseph came from? I found the following in ancestry.

              York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819 about Joseph Cunningham
              Name:Joseph Cunningham
              Date:7 Mar 1803
              Prove Date:23 Mar 1803
              Remarks:Benjamin Cunningham. Mar 7, 1803. Executor: William Morrison.
              Fawn Township. Wife: Jean Cunningham. Children: Ambrose, Benjamin,
              Hugh, Samuel, Joseph, Mary, Sarah wife of Reve. Parker, Lates wife of
              Hugh Gibson, Jean wife of James McKuitt, Elizabeth wife of John
              Crozly, and Ann wife of Samuel Parker.
              Note that Joseph is the son of the person who's will is being
              "proved." And it gives the names of the rest of the family. Might
              this be a place to start to look?

              I found several Cunninghams in the Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
              Quarter Session Dockets 1750-1785 but the few I looked at are
              witnesses or jurors in cases. None seem to be a Joseph, but some
              could be his father or uncles or ?? They're too voluminous to
              include here, but if this is "his" county, I'll see if I can send
              them to your directly, if any apply (I didn't look at all of them).

              I also found the following for Lancaster Co, but it's hard to say
              what the Book/Vol number is for the ones w/o one - whether it's the
              one given for the name before or (I think more likely) for the one
              given next. I've included all the Cunninghams listed.

              Lancaster, Pennsylvania Probate Index, 1729-1850
              Name: Cunkle, William, Sr
              Year: 1831
              Book: F
              Volume: 1
              Page: 132
              Name: Cunningham, James
              Year: 1733
              Name: Cunningham, James
              Year: 1746
              Name: Cunningham, James
              Year: 1774
              Name: Cunningham, John
              Year: 1760
              Name: Cunningham, John
              Year: 1781
              Name: Cunningham, John
              Year: 1786
              Name: Cunningham, John
              Year: 1827
              Book: D
              Volume: 1
              Page: 77
              Name: Cunningham, Joseph
              Year: 1748
              Name: Cunningham, Joseph
              Year: 1769
              Name: Cunningham, Robert
              Year: 1800
              Name: Cunningham, Dr. Robert
              Year: 1806
              Name: Curpman, Christian
              Year: 1801
              Name: Curran, Sarah
              Year: 1824
              Book: B
              Volume: 1
              Page: 165

              Others earlier in the index:

              Lancaster Co Index p 26
              Name: Cunningham, Andrew
              Year: 1760
              Book: I
              Volume: 1
              Page: 81
              Name: Cunningham, Andrew
              Year: 1779
              Book: C
              Volume: 1
              Page: 523
              Name: Cunningham, James
              Year: 1793
              Book: F
              Volume: 1
              Page: 469
              Name: Cunningham, Mathew
              Year: 1795
              Book: G
              Volume: 1
              Page: 348
              Name: Cunningham, Roger
              Year: 1744
              Book: A
              Volume: 1
              Page: 90
              Name: Cunningham, Samuel
              Year: 1777
              Book: D
              Volume: 1
              Page: 374
              Name: Cunningham, William
              Year: 1752
              Book: A
              Volume: 1
              Page: 199

              Finally, there's a reference to Joseph Cunningham here:

              American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) about Joseph Cunningham
              Name:Joseph Cunningham
              Birth Date:1750
              Birthplace:Pennsylvania
              Volume:38
              Page Number:223
              Reference:Ten "Series" of "Pennsylvnia Archives" have been so far
              published in from 5 to 31v. Ea. Philadelphia and Harrisburg. 1852- (
              We have indexed Series 2, v.2 and v.8 ( early Pa. marriage recds.)
              And all the v. of SeriesV. Which contain nearly complete Pa. Rev. War
              recds.)Ser.5:2:941, 963, 990; 4:125, 542

              This sounds very promising. I think you can find out that's in this
              index, even though you're not a member, by going
              here:
              <http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1>http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1
              If not, it includes this:

              Where to go from here:

              Remember that the AGBI is an index to individuals appearing in family
              histories and other genealogical works, and researchers are
              encouraged to locate and examine the material from which the database
              was created. If not available from your local academic or research
              library, most of the works referenced in the AGBI are housed at the
              Godfrey Memorial Library in Connecticut. A photocopy service is
              available. Please contact Godfrey Memorial Library, 134 Newfield St,
              Middletown, CT 06457 or via e-mail at
              <mailto:referenceinfo@...>referenceinfo@....

              I hope some of this gives you something to work with.

              Barbara

              At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

              >Hello to everyone,
              >
              >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
              >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
              >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
              >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
              >
              >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
              >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
              >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
              >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
              >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
              >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
              >puzzle piece.
              >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
              >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
              >
              >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
              >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
              >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
              >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
              >roadblock).
              >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
              >White, Moody, and Cook.
              >
              >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
              >appreciate any help that you can give.
              >
              >Mechelle

            • Mechelle Wallace
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
                I really appreciate all this good research!  There is a giltch when I look at the PA. records,
                due to there being another Cunningham (Joseph) who lived and died in PA. Those Cunninghams then moved on to Rowan Co. NC. There is a line of Josephs, going from the
                I to the IV. I have never been able to connect my line to them. Family spoken history, states that my Joseph came from Ireland, migrated to Kentucky, then on to Missouri. I have found a possible match, in 1820 Casey, Co. Kentucky. I know he was in Missouri by 1833, as evidenced by tax records.
                I have not found any connection between Hugh Cunningham and my Joseph.

                I will explore what you have found, and thank you so much.

                Mechelle

                Date:7 Mar 1803
                Prove Date:23 Mar 1803

                <mailto:referenceinfo@ godfrey.org>referenceinfo@ godfrey.org.

                At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

                >Hello to everyone,
                >
                >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
                >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
                >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
                >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
                >
                >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
                >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
                >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
                >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
                >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
                >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
                >puzzle piece.
                >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
                >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
                >
                >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
                >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
                >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
                >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
                >roadblock).
                >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
                >White, Moody, and Cook.
                >
                >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
                >appreciate any help that you can give.
                >
                >Mechelle

              • Paul Shonk
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
                  Hi to all members, just thought I'd introduce myself as I have just
                  joined the group. Researching Shonk in Essex,UK , Webster in Kent,
                  Cawley from Balinasloe, Ireland, pooley in Suffolk, UK, Riches in
                  Norfolk & Essex, UK, Ayres in Essex & Beds UK, New Zealand & South
                  Africa(although Laura Ayres became Laura Burnett!)

                  Anyone with any info, or also researching the same areas, I'd love to
                  swap information/pics etc.

                  Anyway, must get back to work now, looking forward to corresponding
                  with you all.
                • Mechelle Wallace
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
                    Hi Paul,

                    Welcome...

                    Happy Hunting,
                    Mechelle

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
                      Hi Paul, welcome.
                      I don't have anything for those areas but I do have some prison info for the UK, NZ, Australia and NSW
                      (other countries too) if u ever need me to look up something.
                      Sunny IBSSG

                      From: Paul Shonk <pas1962@...>
                      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 5:01 AM

                    • Kimberly Hamilton
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                        Hello,
                        My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                        The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                        Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                        John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                        George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                        Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                        Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                        Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                        Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                        Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                        Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                        I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                        Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                      • joanne
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                          Hi Kimberly, I do not have any of the names you mentioned however, I do
                          have some Hamiltons in my family tree, if you are interested in
                          researching that portion of your family I might be able to help. Mine
                          are mostly from Rhode Island and Massachusetts, but it could be a start.
                          Thanks Jodi
                          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton
                          <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                          > Hello,
                          > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree
                          and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                          > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from
                          Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                          > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John
                          Coppinger
                          > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in
                          Philadelphia
                          > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                          > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married
                          Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                          > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                          > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                          > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio
                          Carli
                          > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                          > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna
                          Austria
                          > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                          > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                        • lbodonald
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                            Hi Kimberly,

                            If you haven't already done so, I suggest searching the City Directories on ancestry.com, since you mention that site. I'm pretty new to genealogy research but I have found some very interesting background information by searching the city directories where my Massachusetts ancestors lived. I found listings of what they did for work, and some info as to where they resided in terms of family clusters, which was surprising. It gives you year-by-year information on where they lived and what they did, and how that changed over time.

                            I also suggest looking at rootsweb.com if you haven't looked at that part of ancestry.com (I think it's part of ancestry.com anyway). I found very different information on there, thanks to research other geneaologists did, from what I found at ancestry.com's main page.

                            One other suggestion would be to check USgenweb.org -- that led me to search vital records for Massachusetts, none of which showed up at ancestry.com (the kind of thing that drives you crazy of you don't know why, which I don't!!). I found exact birth, death, and marriage listings -- of course, I'll have to go get or send for copies of them to see what they say -- between 1841 and 1910. Nothing's online for Massachusetts after 1910 yet, I found. Of course other states' vital records will be different; I found, for example, that I can't get vital records for Maine online and the info for before 1892 is scarce.

                            Hope this helps.

                            --Louise (Burnham) O'Donald

                          • paperboy1949@sbcglobal.net
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
                              Kimberly,

                              I have Hamilton's in my family from Arkansas around 1900. Is your family from that area?

                              Mike

                              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                              > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                              > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                              > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                              > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                              > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                              > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                              > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                              > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                              > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                              > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                              > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                              > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                            • Stampat
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                                Hi,

                                My name is Pat Neff ....maiden name Mehlenbacher...
                                My daughter and I have started researching the Neff/Mehlenbacher trees.
                                There have been some surprises and some frustrations. The difficulty right now is finding information on my maternal side of the family which is surname SLOAT.....from Ontario, Livingston, Genesee and Steuben Counties, NY.
                                My grandfather , BYRON SLOAT born 1873 in NY was in an orphange in Canandaigua, NY . Byron's mother came here from Ireland... and we're stuck...Any help?

                                Thank you,
                                Pat