Intro

  • sassyspirit02
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2004
      Greetings from AL: I liked the looks of this group because this is
      what I enjoy doing! Research for genealogists, family researchers,
      and anyone looking for answers to their puzzles--you meet some of the
      best folks in the universe--these folks care about family! I am from
      South Alabama, and if you need any help here, just let me know. I'm
      researching my own family lines of Sasser/Perdue/Beasley/Mellinger--
      and most came out of NC, then GA, then to Pike and Crenshaw counties,
      AL Thanks and looking forward to being part of your group!
    • Lois Edwards
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19, 2004
        Hi I am looking for James W Williams born about 1798
        NC who married Eliza Elizabeth Peavy born 1800 Ga.
        They had ten kids in AL before moving to Texas about
        1835. I think they were in Conecuk or Butler co Al
        There are so many Williams it is hard to trace. I am
        in Texas if I can help anyone. Lois

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/0csqlB/TM

        > Searching for your ancestry? You'll find great help
        > at Ancestry.Com

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • Jodi White
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 14, 2010
          Hello Group,

          I'm a new member (obviously!); I've been interested in my ancestry for quite some time. I'm the kind of person that loves to hear old stories from family members, most of whom are now gone.

          My dad is 79, and has a terminal heart condition. We have been blessed with time to be able to discuss the past and for me to be able to hear him reflect on the past. His father left the family when my dad was a little tyke, and my dad was so bitter about that for the rest of his life that he refused all attempts that my grandfather made to see him. As a result, I didn't even know I had a living grandfather until I was 11 years old and heard my dad receive a phone call that his father had passed away.

          Out of my 4 grandparents, I only knew one, and he wasn't the grandfatherly type. I've always felt cheated in that regard, and have had these longings to have known them and to know more about their lives.

          This conversation with my dad yesterday renewed a desire in me to try to find out more about my grandfather. I don't really have a clue the best way to start. I have just a bit of information about him. I feel overwhelmed...and almost thought of abandoning the idea altogether because of that. But then I figured it was worth just taking baby steps, and there were people 'out there' who know alot about this and perhaps could give me some tips.

          That's why I'm here :) Hope to glean from the experienced.

          Jodi

        • Kate
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 14, 2010
            Hi Jodi-
            Welcome!
            If you post the names of the folks you would like to research, we may be able to help. I would try looking at Rootsweb, esp World Connect to see if anyone else is working your line already. Also look at FamilySearch, as well as the FamilySearch Pilot site. If you can afford Ancestry.com, that is the best site for the most available records. Depending where your family is from, there are many free sites available. The FamilySearch sites are free, as is Rootsweb.

            Kate

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
              Thanks, Kate. Sure appreciate it. My grandfather's name is Raymond Eugene Miller. I don't know if he was born in IL, but I know that he died there....I believe in 1973. And I will definitely check out those sites you mentioned.

              Jodi

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
                I found the following Social Security Death Indexes when searching for
                Raymond Eugene Miller (d. IL @ 1973)

                Name: Raymond Miller
                SSN: 345-05-4237
                Last Residence: 62272 Percy, Randolph, Illinois, United States of America
                Born: 18 Dec 1902
                Died: Nov 1973
                State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois (Before 1951)

                Name: Eugene Miller
                SSN: 702-05-7811
                Last Residence: 62526 Decatur, Macon, Illinois, United States of America
                Born: 29 Nov 1890
                Died: Oct 1973
                State (Year) SSN issued: Railroad

                Name: Eugene Miller
                SSN: 331-01-4707
                Born: 1 Apr 1915
                Died: Jul 1973
                State (Year) SSN issued: Illinois

                If any of them are a match to what you know, I'd be happy to do some
                searching around ancestry.com for you to get you going. Sometimes all you
                need are a few bits of information to launch you. :o)

                Dawn