Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Genealogy software advice

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      on 8/2/04 9:49 AM, wkerriganoh at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > I'm a historian currently writing a biography and I am trying to
      > construct a few family tree charts for inclusion in my manuscript.
      > The shareware that I have been using, Brothers Keeper, does not give
      > me a great deal of freedom in manipulating the size and shape of my
      > charts, and tailoring the specific information included in each
      > box. In order for my readers to easily understand a sometimes
      > confusing story I am presenting of a family over several
      > generations, I need a software program that will allow me to easily
      > tailor the the charts. Other features of the software are not so
      > important. Can anyone on this list recommend a good product?
      >
      > Thanks

      Reunion 10 does what you need but it is a Mac software program.
    • Sandy
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, wkerriganoh
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I'm a historian currently writing a biography and I am trying to
        > construct a few family tree charts for inclusion in my
        manuscript.

        > tailor the the charts. Other features of the software are not so
        > important. Can anyone on this list recommend a good product?
        >
        > Thanks
        Hi,

        I am not familar with other products, as I only use "The Family
        Treemaker" product. I have version #11. As well as having the
        standard chart version of showing up to 5 full generations on one
        sheet of paper. It has a vertical tree, which will show as many
        generations as you need. Plus several other options.

        I like to use it for my cattle pedigrees, because the vertical view
        will show me exactly how many times a certain bull will show up in
        my animal's pedigree. (As well as for my people genealogy. grins)

        (Because of the use of linebreeding, one animal will be used more
        than once or twice in the breeding to create uniformity of genes.
        Thus a better meat animal is created. Or also, as a way of
        concentrating better horn growth as in the case of the registered
        longhorns that I and others raise. I use it tracing both horns and
        beef families within the longhorn breed itself.)

        Anyway, I recommend Family Treemaker. This can be purchased right
        off the internet, or any of your local big book stores.

        sandy
      • debbie_roberge
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
          I use RootsMagic 2nd edition and with the program came a separate
          program for doing what you want to do. The program RootsMagic Chart
          gives you the freedom to make changes to your charts. If you need
          more information on this program go to http://www.rootsmagic.com and
          click on Chart Making. I think RootsMagic is a great program and
          wouldn't use any other. I have over 11,000 known people in my
          database and have another database set up for people with the same
          names but not connected yet. Hope this helps! Debbie