Genealogy software advice

  • wkerriganoh
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
      I'm a historian currently writing a biography and I am trying to
      construct a few family tree charts for inclusion in my manuscript.
      The shareware that I have been using, Brothers Keeper, does not give
      me a great deal of freedom in manipulating the size and shape of my
      charts, and tailoring the specific information included in each
      box. In order for my readers to easily understand a sometimes
      confusing story I am presenting of a family over several
      generations, I need a software program that will allow me to easily
      tailor the the charts. Other features of the software are not so
      important. Can anyone on this list recommend a good product?

      Thanks
    • Tina Paxton
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2004
        on 8/2/04 9:49 AM, wkerriganoh at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > I'm a historian currently writing a biography and I am trying to
        > construct a few family tree charts for inclusion in my manuscript.
        > The shareware that I have been using, Brothers Keeper, does not give
        > me a great deal of freedom in manipulating the size and shape of my
        > charts, and tailoring the specific information included in each
        > box. In order for my readers to easily understand a sometimes
        > confusing story I am presenting of a family over several
        > generations, I need a software program that will allow me to easily
        > tailor the the charts. Other features of the software are not so
        > important. Can anyone on this list recommend a good product?
        >
        > Thanks

        Reunion 10 does what you need but it is a Mac software program.
      • Sandy
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, wkerriganoh
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > I'm a historian currently writing a biography and I am trying to
          > construct a few family tree charts for inclusion in my
          manuscript.

          > tailor the the charts. Other features of the software are not so
          > important. Can anyone on this list recommend a good product?
          >
          > Thanks
          Hi,

          I am not familar with other products, as I only use "The Family
          Treemaker" product. I have version #11. As well as having the
          standard chart version of showing up to 5 full generations on one
          sheet of paper. It has a vertical tree, which will show as many
          generations as you need. Plus several other options.

          I like to use it for my cattle pedigrees, because the vertical view
          will show me exactly how many times a certain bull will show up in
          my animal's pedigree. (As well as for my people genealogy. grins)

          (Because of the use of linebreeding, one animal will be used more
          than once or twice in the breeding to create uniformity of genes.
          Thus a better meat animal is created. Or also, as a way of
          concentrating better horn growth as in the case of the registered
          longhorns that I and others raise. I use it tracing both horns and
          beef families within the longhorn breed itself.)

          Anyway, I recommend Family Treemaker. This can be purchased right
          off the internet, or any of your local big book stores.

          sandy
        • debbie_roberge
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2004
            I use RootsMagic 2nd edition and with the program came a separate
            program for doing what you want to do. The program RootsMagic Chart
            gives you the freedom to make changes to your charts. If you need
            more information on this program go to http://www.rootsmagic.com and
            click on Chart Making. I think RootsMagic is a great program and
            wouldn't use any other. I have over 11,000 known people in my
            database and have another database set up for people with the same
            names but not connected yet. Hope this helps! Debbie