Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Where do I look next?

  • martieschmitt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 2004
      Hi everyone, and welcome to the group to all new members. These are just a
      few ideas for those hitting the wonderful brick wall, as we all have!
      Try Ancestry.com & it's free trial, it does have some info that will amaze
      you. Just be sure to write yourself a note to cancel it ahead of time.
      Post messages on Rootsweb message boards.
      Most of all, NEVER give up! The info is out there, somewhere, you just
      have to locate it.
      Use Soundex, Census workers didn't spell correctly, the records are very hard
      to read, & our ancestors had accents that didn't help matters any.

      This is a bit of info that I found out about after months of writing NARA &
      hearing "the records were lost in the fire in St. Louis". ( I was wanting WWII
      records on my Dad. ) Finally, I wrote down everything I could remember
      about him, and sent it to every place I could think of in Indiana. Thank
      goodness for the VA office in Indianapolis, they sent me copies of his records for
      free!
      Happy Hunting! Marti