Euphemia S. Paxton in the Philippines?

  • Tina Paxton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2004
      Hello,

      I recently discovered that an individual I'm researching may have
      gone to the Philippine Islands to be a teacher -- likely between
      1895 and 1905. I have no idea how to proceed researching this.
      Where would I look for documentation? Euphemia was born in
      South Dakota in 1879.

      I appreciate any help you can offer.

      Tina
    • ldyvtdi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 6:15 AM
        If Euphemia was in the Philippines at that time, she might have also
        been involved with the Red Cross or a similar organization since this
        was during the Spanish-American War.
        D. Price
        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton"
        <Frecs@a...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I recently discovered that an individual I'm researching may have
        > gone to the Philippine Islands to be a teacher -- likely between
        > 1895 and 1905. I have no idea how to proceed researching this.
        > Where would I look for documentation? Euphemia was born in
        > South Dakota in 1879.
        >
        > I appreciate any help you can offer.
        >
        > Tina
      • Tina Paxton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 9:21 AM
          That's a thought...hadn't thought of that angle. I was wondering if perhaps
          she could have been part of a Baptist missionary group? How in heavens name
          would I find out if either case is true?

          on 7/2/04 9:15 AM, ldyvtdi at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

          > If Euphemia was in the Philippines at that time, she might have also
          > been involved with the Red Cross or a similar organization since this
          > was during the Spanish-American War.
          > D. Price
          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Tina Paxton"
          > <Frecs@a...> wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I recently discovered that an individual I'm researching may have
          >> gone to the Philippine Islands to be a teacher -- likely between
          >> 1895 and 1905. I have no idea how to proceed researching this.
          >> Where would I look for documentation? Euphemia was born in
          >> South Dakota in 1879.
          >>
          >> I appreciate any help you can offer.
          >>
          >> Tina
        • Tina Paxton
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2 1:46 PM
            on 7/2/04 9:15 AM, ldyvtdi at no_reply@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > If Euphemia was in the Philippines at that time, she might have also
            > been involved with the Red Cross or a similar organization since this
            > was during the Spanish-American War.
            > D. Price

            You were right about there being a connection with the Spanish-American War,
            but she wasn't with the Red Cross -- she went with the Thomasites!

            A group of Americans, calling themselves the "Thomasites" (after Thomas
            Jefferson) decided that the Philippine peoples needed to be educated (as
            part of their preparation to become an independent country) so they gathered
            several hundred teachers and a load of teaching materials and headed out on
            the U.S.A.T. Thomas. Apparently, the Thomasite teachers were a great
            influence on the Philippine peoples. They also, apparently, sided with the
            native peoples against fellow Americans when American Soldiers mistreated
            the locals.

            The ship log included a list of the passengers. In that list, under
            California, was this:

            Paxton, Miss E.S., Orange, Univ. of Cal., B.S. '00, 1 yr

            Translation: Miss E.S. (Euphemia) Paxton of Orange, California, graduate of
            the University of California with a B.S. degree in 1900, 1 year teaching
            experience....

            Anyone know what it takes to transcribe and upload a file to the usgenweb?
            I'd think the ship's passenger list might be of interest to other
            genealogists.

            Tina