WOJNOWICZ/VINOVICH in Wysokie, Lomza, Poland

  • StyxMark1
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2004
      Surnames: Vinovich, Vines, Pianko, Vopnitski, Kozloff, Wojnowicz

      I have hit a brick wall with my mom's side of the family, and am
      currently following a trail of breadcrumbs.

      First of all, my grandfather’s name was Max Vinovich b. 19 Mar
      1887,
      and his parents were Samuel Vinovich and Edna Vopnitski. The
      Vinovich and Pianko families were inter-married, and I'm certain
      that I am finally on the right track. Secondly, I am hoping that
      Wojnowicz could have been pronounced Vinovich by one of my
      ancestors, which was probably why my grandfather's family spelled
      their name Vinovich.

      Just recently, I received my grandfather’s Application for Social
      Security Account Number (Form SS-5), which was dated 31 Dec 1951. On
      it, the interviewer listed his place of birth as Vesoki, Poland,
      which I believe is Wysokie. On his Selective Service application, it
      states that he was born in Lomza. So the two places fit.

      Then I was out on JewishGen.org, and found this:

      Wysokie Mazowieckie 5
      Lomza Gubernia / Bialystok Province
      Located at 52°55’ 22°31’
      Last updated September 2000
      Surname Givenname Year Type Akt Fathername
      WOJNOWICZ Gerszko 1895 M 18
      PIANKA Zlata 1895 M 18
      WOJNOWICZ Szusza 1861 B 7
      WOJNOWICZ Fraim Szlema 1871 B 1 Shlema

      Here is a little background into my history... Cecile Tillie
      Vinovich (my g-grandmother on my mom's mom side) had a brother
      Samuel Vinovich (my g-grandfather on my mom's dad's side). Samuel
      Vinovich married Nasha (Edna) Vopnitski d. 1925 and had Moshe,
      Louis, and Max (my grandfather). My g-grandfather was Simon Isha
      Pianko (It is possible that Simon could be Samuel?). He had at least
      a brother or sister, but their name is unknown. Simon Isha Pianko
      married Cecile Tillie Vinovich and had Ida, Tillie b. 1889, Frieda
      (Frances - my grandmother) b. 1890, Abraham b. 1900, and Morris b.
      1908. Simon's brother or sister married unknown and had Ida, Jenny,
      Eva, Abe, Louis, Jeanette, Esther, and Lillian* b. 1913.

      Simon Pianko's daughter Ida was killed in the Holocaust with her
      husband and sons. Tillie married Samuel Kozloff, Frances married Max
      Vinovich (my grandparents), Abe never got married, and Morris
      married Lillian* Pianko, his first cousin.

      Mark Rosenblum (mark.rosenblum@...)