Tippit, Rivers, Smith

  • Rose Richardson
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2004
      Hi, I am researching my family in Texas, Louisanna, Alamba and Georgia. The
      surnames are Tippit, Rivers, Clark and Smith to start. This is my mothers'
      family. Haven't started on Daddy's yet.
      My great grandma was Charlotte "Lottie" Catherine Smith. She and her sister
      Adeline walked to Texas from Georgia during the Civil War. I am uncertain of
      the exact date. They started out with their father, who was sick. He didn't
      make it to Texas. Their mother hid the three of them from soldiers in their
      Georgia home. After 3 days they came out of their hiding place and the
      wife/mother was gone; the house torn up.
      Later, Lottie married William Luke Rivers, who came from Alabama.
      Of the Tippits, I have found Philip Tippett who lived in St. Mary's County, Maryland. I have traced back to him. The spelling was changed for my family following the Rev. War. Erastus Tippett applied for a penison after serving in the War and losing an arm. The clerk spelled his last name as Tippit. He kept the spelling and we have been Tippit ever since. If anyone knows of research done on these lines or someone wanting info please e-mail me. Thanks! Rose Richardson