surnames

  • Mary Grether
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 11, 2003
      My ggreatgrandfather was joseph(Jas ?) Gilbert b abt 1823, married a Theodossia French b abt 1823. I don't know anything about their parents or siblings, I do know they moved to Lebanon, Kansas about 1870 and had a homested there, raised a family. If anyone could help me in locating these elusive families I would appreciate it very much.
      I looked on family search, and with the census said Josephs family may have come from VA. again, not really sure on that one. thanks for any help. Mary

    • judi
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 10, 2003
        Hi I am looking forany data on a John Joesph Finnell, He married in
        1915 a Alfreda Rosamond Holt (b.1893-1986)they had 7 children
        together that I know of Robert Joesph,Irene Bridget(Whelan),James
        John Joesph Jr.,Thomas,Francis T.(d.1947),and William(aka Buddy)d.1980
        when Alfreda died in 1986 she was living in Dorchester Mass.I'm
        trying to find where the Finnells came from.. any help you could give
        me would be grateful for I am trying to fill in pieces in my life.
        thank you Judi Finnell
        judisunicorn@...
      • Cynthia C Badger
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 11, 2003
          i found john joseph Finnell in the 1920 massachusetts census. Suffok county, boston township. it states that he was born in mass. and his parents were from ireland. hope this helps.

        • alabamataylor@juno.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 12, 2003
            I am looking for any and all information on the Badgers of Georgia. So
            Far, my research goes from George Badger in Brooks County to Joshua
            Badger in Atlanta.
            I am also searching the Benjamin Taylor family; Ben was born in Va about
            1805, was married in Jasper County, Ga in 1830, spent some time in Pike
            County, Ga and in 1880 died in Randolph County, Ga. Searching all
            connections.
            Another line is James F. Barbee of Wilkinson County, Ga.
            Thanks for any help with these lines.
            Larry in Phenix
          • judi
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 23, 2003
              stillooking for info on John J. Finnell married in 1915 to Alfreda R.
              Holt in or around Mechanic Falls Maine(?) Thats where her birth place
              was,,,Looking for his birth info (1880)'s + - 5 years
              thank you
              judisunicorn@...
            • brindy04
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 27, 2005
                These are the surnames that I am researching

                Naughton...Pennsylvania

                Leonard...Pennsylvania

                Halinen....Finland

                Laari....Finland

                Kokkonen.....Finland

                Boyko....Canada, Ukraine

                Twerdun...Canada, Ukraine

                Polowich....Canada, Ukraine
              • Dona
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 5, 2005
                  The surnames I am looking for:

                  Thimm NY, IL, WI

                  Odell NY, IL, WI

                  Paul WI

                  Pahlisch WI

                  Polifka WI, Bohemia

                  Simon WI

                  Thanks
                  Dona
                • NormaJean Hedlund
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 25, 2006
                    I hve finally got a list of my surnames together. Thanks to all for
                    the help I have received and thank you to the group owner for
                    helping make this possible.

                    Rinehart
                    Ellis
                    Matlock
                    Edwards
                    Ratliff
                    Edwards
                    Davis
                    Duncan
                    Morton
                    Jasper
                    Rogers
                    Allen
                    Taylor
                    Thompson
                    Martin
                    Glenn
                    Neville
                    Crum

                    My family (Rineharts) originated in Germany. My great, great great
                    Grampa Lewis was born in 1750. He came to the US with 2 brothers.
                    Aparently to Philadelphia. He married Barbara Wrax (last name not
                    positive)and they moved to Tennessee.They had 2 sons, George and
                    Lewis jr, and five daughters. Barbara died about 1806. Lewis Sr.
                    moved with Lewis Jr to IL. He died there about 1830.
                    Great, great Grampa Lewis(Jr) married Elizabeth Ellis. They moved
                    from IL to IA to OR. They had 13 children. William Ellis Rinehart
                    born on Sept. 26, 1846 in Iowa is my Great grampa. He married
                    Elizabeth Martin. Six of their children died between 07/25/1880 and
                    08/09/1880 of measles and diphtheria. One week later there baby boy
                    died of tick poisoning. They had four children who lived: Willard I
                    Rinehart, W.H. Rinehart, Avery Jay Rinehart (my grampa) Mrs. I.A.
                    (Rinehart)King.
                    My dad was Norman Dale Rinehart

                    Any help in finding my (birth)fathers family greatly appreciated. I
                    am also hopeing that in some way this will help me find my 5 sisters
                    and 2 brothers.
                    Good Luck to us all
                    NormaJean
                  • nancy J Smith
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 25, 2006
                      what is your rogers line
                      mine are from nc

                      NANCY J. SMITH
                    • nancy J Smith
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 25, 2006
                        <shyotternjh@...> writes:
                        > I hve finally got a list of my surnames together. Thanks to all for
                        >
                        > the help I have received and thank you to the group owner for
                        > helping make this possible.
                        >
                        > Rinehart
                        > Ellis
                        > Matlock
                        > Edwards
                        > Ratliff
                        > Edwards
                        > Davis
                        > Duncan
                        > Morton
                        > Jasper
                        > Rogers
                        > Allen
                        > Taylor
                        > Thompson
                        > Martin
                        > Glenn
                        > Neville
                        > Crum
                        >
                        > My family (Rineharts) originated in Germany. My great, great great
                        > Grampa Lewis was born in 1750. He came to the US with 2 brothers.
                        > Aparently to Philadelphia. He married Barbara Wrax (last name not
                        > positive)and they moved to Tennessee.They had 2 sons, George and
                        > Lewis jr, and five daughters. Barbara died about 1806. Lewis Sr.
                        > moved with Lewis Jr to IL. He died there about 1830.
                        > Great, great Grampa Lewis(Jr) married Elizabeth Ellis. They moved
                        > from IL to IA to OR. They had 13 children. William Ellis Rinehart
                        > born on Sept. 26, 1846 in Iowa is my Great grampa. He married
                        > Elizabeth Martin. Six of their children died between 07/25/1880 and
                        >
                        > 08/09/1880 of measles and diphtheria. One week later there baby boy
                        >
                        > died of tick poisoning. They had four children who lived: Willard I
                        >
                        > Rinehart, W.H. Rinehart, Avery Jay Rinehart (my grampa) Mrs. I.A.
                        > (Rinehart)King.
                        > My dad was Norman Dale Rinehart
                        >
                        > Any help in finding my (birth)fathers family greatly appreciated. I
                        >
                        > am also hopeing that in some way this will help me find my 5 sisters
                        >
                        > and 2 brothers.
                        > Good Luck to us all
                        > NormaJean

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        NANCY J. SMITH
                      • NormaJean Hedlund
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 26, 2006
                          I am not sure of the origination fo the Rogers line.
                          My Great Uncle, James H Rinehart, (10/1/1836 IL)
                          married Alcinda Rogers on 12/13/1914. Her birthdte was
                          04/01/1859 but I have no idea where she was born or
                          where they were married. I do know most of my
                          relatives ended up in Oregon. I hope this helps.
                          NJ

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Clark & Rita Pederson
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 27, 2006
                            I'm not sure if I have anything but I found an Alcinda Rogers in the 1880
                            and1900 censuses first with a William A. Rogers and then an Asbury Rogers.
                            1900 census says she and Asbury were married 28 years. 1880 with children
                            John W. 7, Anna A. 5, William M. 3, Joseph 9 months. In 1900 Wesley 27,
                            William 22, Rose 18, Jesse 12, Estella 10. 1900 they were in Athens,
                            Harrison County Ohio and the same for 1880. Alcinda was 50 years old in
                            1900 and 30 in 1880.

                            I do not find James or Alcinda in the 1920 census. Since this must have
                            been at least a second marriage for both they may have been dead by 1920,
                            or they were not indexed properly.

                            Don't know if this will help or not.

                            _____

                            I am not sure of the origination fo the Rogers line.
                            My Great Uncle, James H Rinehart, (10/1/1836 IL)
                            married Alcinda Rogers on 12/13/1914. Her birthdte was
                            04/01/1859 but I have no idea where she was born or
                            where they were married. I do know most of my
                            relatives ended up in Oregon. I hope this helps.
                            NJ

                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                            http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408
                            <http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=5647408&siteid=18621718>
                            &siteid=18621718

                            _____

                            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                            * Visit your group "genealogyresearchclub
                            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/genealogyresearchclub> " on the web.

                            be>

                            _____

                          • NormaJean Hedlund
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 28, 2006
                              thank yo so much that give me a working point James
                              died 12/13/1914 probably in Oregon They married
                              04/01/1859 this group is soo helpful

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • NormaJean Hedlund
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 5, 2006
                                Nancy,
                                I dont have alot of info yet but:

                                My Great Uncle James Harvey Rinehart b. 10/01/1836 in IL d. 12/13/1914 OR
                                married Alcinda Rogers 04/01/1859 probably in OR
                                I have info stating they had 2 sons:Willard Edward and Harvey Clay
                                They ran a flour mill in "Rinehart Cillage" Union County OR\
                                Also: My sister Shirley Ann Rinehart (adopted last name Buchman)
                                b. 02/21/1945 Juneau, Alaska married Jimmy Darrel Rogers on March 25, 1960 Portland, OR
                                His bd:Dec. 27, 1938 Portland. OR HIs parents were Ewel James Rogers and Pat Hazel Free

                              • Caroline
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                  I am researching
                                  McLaughlin,Scott,Carter,Lowe,Parker,Lanouette,Landry,Spear,Russell all
                                  from the New England area, Nova Scotia,New Brunswick and Quebec. Any
                                  one else researching these lines?
                                • joanne
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Caroline"
                                    <caroline103@...> wrote:

                                    > I am researching
                                    > McLaughlin,Scott,Carter,Lowe,Parker,Lanouette,Landry,Spear,Russell
                                    all
                                    > from the New England area, Nova Scotia,New Brunswick and Quebec. Any
                                    > one else researching these lines?

                                    I have a small few of Russells in my search. I live in New England.
                                  • elizabeth stratton
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Mar 1, 2008
                                      RESEARCHING MY MAIDEN NAME OF HORTON,ONLY AT GRANDFATHER BORN IN BERMONDSEY LONDON, 1907, anyone else researching Horton? I am going home to wales for a visit soon and going to do some digging around and asking asking questions,

                                      Also i am planning on going to London to see if i can go and buy birth, marriage and death certificates, of my ancestors, anyone done anything like this, and if so what info do i need before hand

                                      THANK YOU

                                      Elizabeth Horton-stratton

                                      you will always miss 100% of the shots you never take
                                      "Wayne Gretzky"

                                    • Mary E. Conley
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 2, 2008
                                        I have:

                                        2 McLACHLAN's: Elizabeth & Lachlan;

                                        14 SCOTT's: Hannah Susan b.1801, J. E. b.abt.1826, Jennie Eads b.1856, W. George b.abt.1862, other 10 are living mostly in Calif;
                                        3 CARTER's: Alma b.24 Feb 1897, Emily Caroline d.28 Mar 1940, William b.abt 1870;

                                        11 PARKER's: John b.31 Oct 1866, Margaret Ellen b.abt1860, Martha b.abt 1790, Mary Jane (Polly) b.abt.1847, Parcy b.abt.1845, other 6 living;

                                        1 SPEAR: G. B. b.abt.1875

                                        33 RUSSELL's: Agnes Florine b. 1 Aug 1891, Alva Lavere 26 Aug 1906, Annie Eliza 23 Oct 1867, Benjamin F. b.abt. 1835, Brigham Young b.29 Mar 1854, Cloyd Ellis b.16 Oct 1908, Cyril Glenn b.30 Dep 1897, Daniel Wells b.17 Feb 1864, David Ross b.19 Mar 1887, Earl LaMont b.25 Jan 1900, Elizabeth Vickery b.9 Sep 1862, Ethel Azalea b.12 Apr 1894, Floyd Charles b.1903, Gladys Lucille b.30 May 1896, Grover b.abt. 1894, Heber Chase Kimball b. 27 Sep 1859, Hyrum Smith b.22 Nov 1861, Isaac James b.10 Jun 1866, John Clifford b.28 Nov 1884, John T. b. 27 Jan 1856, Joseph Smith b.23 Dec 1857, Lee b.abt 1920, Marcus b.abt.1815, Virgil b.abt.1920, William Greenwood b.abt.1786, William Melvin b.15 Dec 1888; other 6 are living;

                                        Hope someone else connects to these individuals. Contact me at jonesfamily1952@... Mary

                                        Caroline <caroline103@...> wrote:
                                        I am researching
                                        McLaughlin,Scott,Carter,Lowe,Parker,Lanouette,Landry,Spear,Russell all
                                        from the New England area, Nova Scotia,New Brunswick and Quebec. Any
                                        one else researching these lines?

                                      • maryann
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                                          I have a list of family names of Johnston co, NC I'd like some help
                                          with. But this is also shared info for the ones looking for these
                                          surnames. Some of the info came from Sampson Co. Historical Society
                                          The Turley family I am hitting a brick wall . I don't know anything
                                          about Richard and where he came from or his parents, I do have a handed
                                          down story but I am not sure its factual. I would like to try and find
                                          info on this family if possible. It is possible he came from Ireland(
                                          the part of the story he was kidnapped from there and was in VA for a
                                          time) And the children out of wedlock? what about these, isn't
                                          commonlaw in those times? I have a whole lot of gaps that I sure would
                                          like to find info on any or all of these names. Any help is greatly
                                          appreciated. Mary Grether Richard Turley m Mary Peal 1788 Children:
                                          Thomas b1793 m #1 Patience Brady in 1819 #2 Ridley Ellis in 1858
                                          Thomas may have moved to Tenn, his son may have een a judge Richard
                                          Turley b 1801 m Elizabeth Farrar sons William, m Elizabeth Holland
                                          children: Catherine m William Farrar #2 Jamey Braddy Zelphia m James
                                          Hilliard Judith had children but unkn father Viney ( had anout of
                                          wedlock child, name unknwn) later m James Smith Grace Turley (several
                                          out of wedlock children) my ggreat grandfather( not sure of this)Samuel
                                          Mosley( Moses) b 1812 Penny m Matthew Higgs(Hicks) Sanford m Elizabeth
                                          Swearigen Samuel Moses was bound to be an Apprentice to Ruben Dodd he
                                          died 1866 he married Lively Ellis they had Candice m Charles W Lee
                                          Eugenia m Issac Dodd JOel B m ? Mary E m? Indiana m? Ridley Penelope m
                                          John Calvin Jones
                                          ........................................................................\
                                          .......................... Wiley R Parrish m Caroline Lassiter(Reddish)
                                          James Atlas Parrish b 1870 d 1918 married Etta Jones b 1873 d 1950
                                          children Maude b 1898 m Ashley Mcelveen d 1980 ( had two children)
                                          Maggie b 1898 m Fred Gooch d 1990 (had 7 children) Talmadge b1900
                                          mLOttie Talton Dexter b1906 m Letah Garris Robert Wiley b 1914 b Annie
                                          Woodard Jessie b 1910 m ?
                                          Calvin Jones b 1841 d 1914 (his father was william Jones/ mother Sally
                                          Simpkins) m Penny Turley b 1849 d 1900 Children Delia b 1870 m Neil
                                          Spencer( or Spence) #2 Williams(?) Etta b 1872 m James Atlas Parrish
                                          John W M (Col.) b 1874 m Nancy Ellis Nellie b 1877 d before 1900 Maor b
                                          1880 m Alma Adams Jessie b 1883 (?) Herman b 1887 m (?) Hubert b 1891 m
                                          Eva Wilder