New Book on Slovakian Jews

  • goldenjerusalem
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2003
      Between Galicia and Hungary: The Jews of Stropkov

      Very little is written in English on Jews of SLOVAKIA, so this is
      a real find!

      "I must say I am very impressed by what you have done, and hope
      that the book will find its way to every Holocaust library. You are
      really to be congratulated for a very fine achievement."--Sir Martin
      Gilbert

      Melody Amsel, an American-born Israeli amateur genealogist, has
      created a beautifully written yizkor (Holocaust memorial) book about
      the Jews of Stropkov, Slovak Republic. Many Jewish genealogists have
      memorialized members of their family murdered in the Holocaust. Ms.
      Amsel went a step further and not only memorialized the Amsels of
      Stropkov, but all the Jews of Stropkov. The book has some unusual
      features for a yizkor book. It is written in two languages: Hebrew
      and English, each a mirror of the other. It does not have a
      necrology--a list of those who were killed. Instead, it lists all
      the Jews of Stropkov (and neighboring communities), identifying the
      survivors in bold face. The list goes on for 64 pages of Holocaust
      victims, occasionally interrupted by an entry in bold face to
      identify a survivor. Of the more than 2,000 Stropkovers identified,
      only 162 survived the Holocaust.

      The narrative is a history of the Jews of Stropkov, from their first
      presence about 1640 to 1945. Particular emphasis is on life just
      before the Holocaust and the events during the Holocaust. Amsel
      personalizes the times by not merely describing life during these
      periods but by naming Jewish citizens of the town. Clearly she
      interviewed many of the survivors and described activity as it
      happened to specific people.AVAILABLE THROUGH
      http://www.avotaynu.com/books/stropkov.htm

      Melody Amsel-Arieli