[Genealogy Research Club] Re: sourcing info from Chris

  • thesugarbunnie
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2003
      Hi Chuck

      A GEDCOM is a generic formated genealogy file that is able to be read
      into any number of different programs and displayed as a family
      tree. It's become a standard format since the advent of computerized
      genealogy. If I were to send you a GEDCOM file done out of Legacy,
      you would be able to open it and display all the information in
      Family Tree Maker or any of the other programs out there. It
      condenses the information as well, making it an easy format to use as
      a backup. It will not, however, save any of your photos if you have
      embedded them into your tree.

      Hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions, please let
      me know!

      Gail

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chandler s Parsons
      <cspdjp@j...> wrote:
      > I'm just starting on this genealogy pathway and collecting tips on
      > working the hobby.
      > My question is what is a GEDCOM?
      > Thanks
      > Chuck
      >
      > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:17:11 -0500 fplum@j... writes:
      > Interesting thread, although I seemed to have missed out on the
      beginning
      > of it.
      >
      > Here's my situation. I keep an extended GEDCOM which I share on
      several
      > websites. I do this by looking for other GEDCOMs which contain
      members
      > of my family. I then download the entire GEDCOM and merge it into
      mine.

      > I receive emails saying I am related to so and so, and I have
      additions
      > or corrections to your information, would you be interested. Most
      of
      > these concern people I have never heard of but I try to answer all
      of
      > them and graciously accept any information that they have.
      >
      > But the quickest way to get me to ignore you is when I get emails
      which
      > state: This information is all wrong and I don't see any sources,
      how
      > dare you publish information about my family without any sources.
      (of
      > course, it's already published with wrong information and without
      > sources)
      >
      > I don't have time to source 37,000 individuals. People should
      always
      > keep in mind that GEDCOMs are always secondary sources and should
      not be
      > accepted as fact with out further research.
      >
      > The good news is that a get a lot more email from the former then
      from
      > the latter. Fortunately as far as my direct family I am getting
      some
      > much sourcing that I am back logged cataloging it all.
      >
      > Hope this gives people something to think about.
      >
      > Forrest Plumstead
      > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum
      > Researching: Plumstead Risser Schroeder Senne Thayer
      > Quaker Families:Heald Hobson Hollingsworth Mendenhall Ross

      > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.