Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Options for noting sources

  • fplum@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2003
      Interesting thread! I use Ancestry Family Tree myself, but received a
      copy of Legacy 3.0 on a disc that I received. I loaded it up and tried
      it out but found that it was not that user friendly. It could be that I
      am used to the other program.

      While I'm writing to the list, I only have two people left to complete 5
      generations on my family tree. They are the parents of my g-grandfather
      Gustov Schroeder, who lived in Germany. I'd like to have some advice on
      how to research Germany.

      Thanks for everything.

      Forrest Plumstead
      Researching: Plumstead Risser Schroeder Senne Thayer
      Quaker Families:Heald Hobson Hollingsworth Mendenhall Ross

      On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 15:06:57 -0600 (Mountain Standard Time) "Aliceann or
      Scott" <carlton47@...> writes:

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Options for noting sources

      I, too, use Legacy and the way Legacy deals with sources can be a bit
      confusing but one of the things I find most useful is the source "type"
      entry. This list comes complete with a pre-installed "vital" type but
      can easily be customized to reflect any kind of source you wish to
      designate -- in your case, "Death Certificate," for example. When one
      goes to the "master source TYPE" list and selects "Death Certificate"
      one can then hit the "show list" button and a list of all individuals
      whose sources are of that type will be displayed. The real issue, in my
      view, is to be able to keep your master source list at a manageable size
      while, at the same time, being able to make individual use of the "text"
      tab in the source itself.

      Sourcing is a never-ending issue but always seems to come back to the
      basics as far as asking yourself "does this source notation provide all
      the necessary information for me (or someone else) to be able to go back
      from scratch and re-verify the attendant fact?" If it does, then the
      sequence in which that information is filed is pretty much up to you.

      For much more information, and many more opinions from other Legacy
      users, I would suggest you go to the Legacy web site and subscribe to
      the Legacy Users Group. Currently discussion is hot and heavy over the
      new pre-release Version 5 program and how we are liking the
      changes/additions but other general topics are there as well. Also,
      while at the home page, you might want to check out the "Tips" link on
      the left side... some good info there, too.

      Good luck...

      Scott Carlton carlton47@...