Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Options for noting sources

  • Aliceann or Scott
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2003
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Options for noting sources

      Chris,

      I, too, use Legacy and the way Legacy deals with sources can be a bit
      confusing but one of the things I find most useful is the source "type"
      entry. This list comes complete with a pre-installed "vital" type but can
      easily be customized to reflect any kind of source you wish to designate --
      in your case, "Death Certificate," for example. When one goes to the "master
      source TYPE" list and selects "Death Certificate" one can then hit the "show
      list" button and a list of all individuals whose sources are of that type
      will be displayed. The real issue, in my view, is to be able to keep your
      master source list at a manageable size while, at the same time, being able
      to make individual use of the "text" tab in the source itself.

      Sourcing is a never-ending issue but always seems to come back to the basics
      as far as asking yourself "does this source notation provide all the
      necessary information for me (or someone else) to be able to go back from
      scratch and re-verify the attendant fact?" If it does, then the sequence in
      which that information is filed is pretty much up to you.

      For much more information, and many more opinions from other Legacy users, I
      would suggest you go to the Legacy web site and subscribe to the Legacy
      Users Group. Currently discussion is hot and heavy over the new pre-release
      Version 5 program and how we are liking the changes/additions but other
      general topics are there as well. Also, while at the home page, you might
      want to check out the "Tips" link on the left side... some good info there,
      too.

      Good luck...

      Scott Carlton
      carlton47@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 27, 2003
        Interesting thread! I use Ancestry Family Tree myself, but received a
        copy of Legacy 3.0 on a disc that I received. I loaded it up and tried
        it out but found that it was not that user friendly. It could be that I
        am used to the other program.

        While I'm writing to the list, I only have two people left to complete 5
        generations on my family tree. They are the parents of my g-grandfather
        Gustov Schroeder, who lived in Germany. I'd like to have some advice on
        how to research Germany.

        Thanks for everything.

        Forrest Plumstead
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum
        Researching: Plumstead Risser Schroeder Senne Thayer
        Quaker Families:Heald Hobson Hollingsworth Mendenhall Ross

        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!