Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Options for noting sources

  • Aliceann or Scott
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16 9:40 AM

      I, too, use Legacy and the way Legacy deals with sources can be a bit
      confusing but one of the things I find most useful is the source "type"
      entry. This list comes complete with a pre-installed "vital" type but can
      easily be customized to reflect any kind of source you wish to designate --
      in your case, "Death Certificate," for example. When one goes to the
      master source TYPE" list and selects "Death Certificate" one can then hit
      the "show list" button and a list of all individuals whose sources are of
      that type will be displayed. The real issue, in my view, is to be able to
      keep your master source list at a manageable size while, at the same time,
      being able to make individual use of the "text" tab in the source itself.

      Sourcing is a never-ending issue but always seems to come back to the basics
      as far as asking yourself "does this source notation provide all the
      necessary information for me (or someone else) to be able to go back from
      scratch and re-verify the attendant fact?" If it does, then the sequence in
      which that information is filed is pretty much up to you.

      For much more information, and many more opinions from other Legacy users, I
      would suggest you go to the Legacy web site and subscribe to the Legacy
      Users Group. Currently discussion is hot and heavy over the new pre-release
      Version 5 program and how we are liking the changes/additions but other
      general topics are there as well. Also, while at the home page, you might
      want to check out the "Tips" link on the left side... some good info there,

      Good luck...

      Scott Carlton