Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: sourcing info from Chris

  • Chandler s Parsons
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2003
      I'm just starting on this genealogy pathway and collecting tips on
      working the hobby.
      My question is what is a GEDCOM?
      Thanks
      Chuck

      On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 19:17:11 -0500 fplum@... writes:
      Interesting thread, although I seemed to have missed out on the beginning
      of it.

      Here's my situation. I keep an extended GEDCOM which I share on several
      websites. I do this by looking for other GEDCOMs which contain members
      of my family. I then download the entire GEDCOM and merge it into mine.

      I receive emails saying I am related to so and so, and I have additions
      or corrections to your information, would you be interested. Most of
      these concern people I have never heard of but I try to answer all of
      them and graciously accept any information that they have.

      But the quickest way to get me to ignore you is when I get emails which
      state: This information is all wrong and I don't see any sources, how
      dare you publish information about my family without any sources. (of
      course, it's already published with wrong information and without
      sources)

      I don't have time to source 37,000 individuals. People should always
      keep in mind that GEDCOMs are always secondary sources and should not be
      accepted as fact with out further research.

      The good news is that a get a lot more email from the former then from
      the latter. Fortunately as far as my direct family I am getting some
      much sourcing that I am back logged cataloging it all.

      Hope this gives people something to think about.

      Forrest Plumstead
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum
      Researching: Plumstead Risser Schroeder Senne Thayer
      Quaker Families:Heald Hobson Hollingsworth Mendenhall Ross

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • fplum@juno.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2003
        Hi Chuck!

        That's a very good question. Each Genealogy Program uses its own format
        to read the data files. My database for Ancestry Family Tree could not be
        read by someone else's Family Tree Maker. So the only people I could
        share my data with would be other people who use Ancestry Family Tree. So
        the different companies who make genealogy programs got together and
        devised a format which could be read by all programs then converted into
        that program's database format. So a GEDCOM is the universal file to
        share your family tree.

        Hope this helps.

        On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:58:39 -0400 Chandler s Parsons <cspdjp@...>
        writes:
[...]

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • thesugarbunnie
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2003
          Hi Chuck

          A GEDCOM is a generic formated genealogy file that is able to be read
          into any number of different programs and displayed as a family
          tree. It's become a standard format since the advent of computerized
          genealogy. If I were to send you a GEDCOM file done out of Legacy,
          you would be able to open it and display all the information in
          Family Tree Maker or any of the other programs out there. It
          condenses the information as well, making it an easy format to use as
          a backup. It will not, however, save any of your photos if you have
          embedded them into your tree.

          Hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions, please let
          me know!

          Gail

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Chandler s Parsons

          Service.