Options for noting sources

  • chrisinkingwood2
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2003
      I have a few questions about the "correct" way to not a source. In
      particular I am working with a series of death certificates of
      relatives who died in Minnesota in the past century. I have obtained
      copies of their Death Certificates and I usually fill out a Master
      Source listing for each individual.

      My software program (Legacy) asks for a Source List Name,Author, and
      Publication Facts (place, date, etc). I usually list the Title
      as "Death Certificate for John Doe" as opposed to John Doe Death
      Certificate". That way all my Death Certificate appear in one area of
      my Source list. I list the Author as "The State of Minnesota" and
      under Publication Facts I list "Minnesota Division of Birth Death and
      Vital Records, and the date of the record" My program then allows for
      a Source Detail and I list the line number for the item I am noting
      such as Date of Death, Cause of Death, etc. I also scan a copy of the
      image and attach it to the source so if I view it I have an image as
      well.

      Does this sound like a good way of doing this? Any thoughts?

      On a similar note, when I use a Morman/LDS microfilm of a Civil
      Document I usually list the information about the document in the
      Source listing but use the LDS film number and any other notations as
      the Source Detail.

      Thanks,
      Chris in Kingwood