Introduction

  • Henk Rutgers
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2003
      Hello

      My name is Henk Rutgers from Groningen in the Netherlands.
      I am searching for the family Rutgers from Nieuwe Pekela, Forsten
      from Wildervank/Veendam, van Oversteeg from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and
      the family Hartog from Landsmeer/Amsterdam.

      If you have some information for me, please send a mail to
      genealogie@...

      If you want some more information take a look on my homepage
      www.herugn.nl

      Yours sincerely,
      Henk Rutgers
    • Kerri Harms
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2003
        Hank,

        Welcome to this group, it's a nice place to be.

        Kerri

        Henk Rutgers <genealogie@...> wrote:
        Hello

        My name is Henk Rutgers from Groningen in the Netherlands.
        I am searching for the family Rutgers from Nieuwe Pekela, Forsten
        from Wildervank/Veendam, van Oversteeg from Rotterdam/Amsterdam and
        the family Hartog from Landsmeer/Amsterdam.

        If you have some information for me, please send a mail to
        genealogie@...

        If you want some more information take a look on my homepage
        www.herugn.nl

        Yours sincerely,
        Henk Rutgers

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Randy
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 26, 2004
          Hi Everyone

          I'm new to the group and just wanted to say that I'm glad I found
          this group. I'm a relativly new genealogist, only been working it
          for the past 2 years and still am learning so much about resources,
          techniques, and yes of course family.

          I am currently looking for information on the following families
          Graves, Hassell, Langston, Dean, Collier on my side of the family.

          On my wife's side of the family we are looking at Rasmussen, Helm,
          Fennell, Weir.

          She is from North Dakota and her ancestors immigrated for the most
          part from Europe to Canada in the mid-1800's and then to North
          Dakota in the late 1800's.

          I'm from Texas, my lines came to Texas mostly from North and South
          Carolina, some directly, others by way of Illinois.

          I have the most information on my Langston and Hassell lines thanks
          in a big way to other genealogists and researchers before me.

          What an all consuming hobby I've found.

          Randy
        • sbrina40
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 7 8:24 PM
            Hi,
            I'm new to this page and wanted to introduce myself, my name is
            Kellyann/Sbrina40.
            I am searching for the following surnames:
            Collins, Fraser/Frazer, Freeman, Hamilton, Meuse/Muise, McFee, Landry,
            Lynch, Parson, Sheppard and Whitney.
            At one point after 1900 my family all lived in Massachusetts, before
            this some from Nova Scotia, Ireland, New Foundland, Maine U.S.A. and
            possibly Scotland.
            I have three web sites of different interest I have posted my personal
            page in the links. I Also coordinate the Somerville and Cambridge
            GenWeb pages, Cambridge should be up soon.
            Looking forward to hearing from people.
          • Laurie Bates
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
              Hi, I am Laurie BATES living here in Lansing. I am researching my mother's paternal side of the family, STRICKLAND, and the history of the BATES family farm in Laingsburg. I find that I can work on one project to let my mind rest from the other one. Then when I need to; I go back to the other research and let that one rest.

              G Grandp Lewis Abijah came to MI in 1865 from Carlton, Orleans Co., New York.
              He settled in Eaton Co. after he married his first wife, Emily (not my g grandm)
              Mostly he was in Chester area and then Charlotte. He was Postmaster at the Chester Postoffice in the 1890's. He was widowed and married Ella (my g grandm) and their youngest is my grandp Lewis Joseph.

              In New York Lewis A left behind his father, Charles Wellington, numerous brothers, his Grandp Jesse (? middle name), and many uncles and all their families.

              Well, I don't want to over do my first entry in the group with a overload of info.

              Great to be here,
              Laurie Bates (STRICKLAND)
              Lansing/Laingsburg

            • Mechelle Wallace
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 25, 2008
                Hello to everyone,

                I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle, and I live in Fresno, CA.  Like a lot of people, I waited too long to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.

                Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
                They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
                I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b. abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing puzzle piece.
                Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham b. 1817 in MO. or KY.

                The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big roadblock).
                My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones, White, Moody, and Cook.

                I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would appreciate any help that you can give.

                Mechelle

              • Barbara Sack
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 7, 2008
                  Hi Michelle,
                  Do you know what county Joseph came from? I found the following in ancestry.

                  York County, Pennsylvania Wills, 1749-1819 about Joseph Cunningham
                  Name:Joseph Cunningham
                  Date:7 Mar 1803
                  Prove Date:23 Mar 1803
                  Remarks:Benjamin Cunningham. Mar 7, 1803. Executor: William Morrison.
                  Fawn Township. Wife: Jean Cunningham. Children: Ambrose, Benjamin,
                  Hugh, Samuel, Joseph, Mary, Sarah wife of Reve. Parker, Lates wife of
                  Hugh Gibson, Jean wife of James McKuitt, Elizabeth wife of John
                  Crozly, and Ann wife of Samuel Parker.
                  Note that Joseph is the son of the person who's will is being
                  "proved." And it gives the names of the rest of the family. Might
                  this be a place to start to look?

                  I found several Cunninghams in the Cumberland County, Pennsylvania
                  Quarter Session Dockets 1750-1785 but the few I looked at are
                  witnesses or jurors in cases. None seem to be a Joseph, but some
                  could be his father or uncles or ?? They're too voluminous to
                  include here, but if this is "his" county, I'll see if I can send
                  them to your directly, if any apply (I didn't look at all of them).

                  I also found the following for Lancaster Co, but it's hard to say
                  what the Book/Vol number is for the ones w/o one - whether it's the
                  one given for the name before or (I think more likely) for the one
                  given next. I've included all the Cunninghams listed.

                  Lancaster, Pennsylvania Probate Index, 1729-1850
                  Name: Cunkle, William, Sr
                  Year: 1831
                  Book: F
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 132
                  Name: Cunningham, James
                  Year: 1733
                  Name: Cunningham, James
                  Year: 1746
                  Name: Cunningham, James
                  Year: 1774
                  Name: Cunningham, John
                  Year: 1760
                  Name: Cunningham, John
                  Year: 1781
                  Name: Cunningham, John
                  Year: 1786
                  Name: Cunningham, John
                  Year: 1827
                  Book: D
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 77
                  Name: Cunningham, Joseph
                  Year: 1748
                  Name: Cunningham, Joseph
                  Year: 1769
                  Name: Cunningham, Robert
                  Year: 1800
                  Name: Cunningham, Dr. Robert
                  Year: 1806
                  Name: Curpman, Christian
                  Year: 1801
                  Name: Curran, Sarah
                  Year: 1824
                  Book: B
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 165

                  Others earlier in the index:

                  Lancaster Co Index p 26
                  Name: Cunningham, Andrew
                  Year: 1760
                  Book: I
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 81
                  Name: Cunningham, Andrew
                  Year: 1779
                  Book: C
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 523
                  Name: Cunningham, James
                  Year: 1793
                  Book: F
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 469
                  Name: Cunningham, Mathew
                  Year: 1795
                  Book: G
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 348
                  Name: Cunningham, Roger
                  Year: 1744
                  Book: A
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 90
                  Name: Cunningham, Samuel
                  Year: 1777
                  Book: D
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 374
                  Name: Cunningham, William
                  Year: 1752
                  Book: A
                  Volume: 1
                  Page: 199

                  Finally, there's a reference to Joseph Cunningham here:

                  American Genealogical-Biographical Index (AGBI) about Joseph Cunningham
                  Name:Joseph Cunningham
                  Birth Date:1750
                  Birthplace:Pennsylvania
                  Volume:38
                  Page Number:223
                  Reference:Ten "Series" of "Pennsylvnia Archives" have been so far
                  published in from 5 to 31v. Ea. Philadelphia and Harrisburg. 1852- (
                  We have indexed Series 2, v.2 and v.8 ( early Pa. marriage recds.)
                  And all the v. of SeriesV. Which contain nearly complete Pa. Rev. War
                  recds.)Ser.5:2:941, 963, 990; 4:125, 542

                  This sounds very promising. I think you can find out that's in this
                  index, even though you're not a member, by going
                  here:
                  <http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1>http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=3599&enc=1
                  If not, it includes this:

                  Where to go from here:

                  Remember that the AGBI is an index to individuals appearing in family
                  histories and other genealogical works, and researchers are
                  encouraged to locate and examine the material from which the database
                  was created. If not available from your local academic or research
                  library, most of the works referenced in the AGBI are housed at the
                  Godfrey Memorial Library in Connecticut. A photocopy service is
                  available. Please contact Godfrey Memorial Library, 134 Newfield St,
                  Middletown, CT 06457 or via e-mail at
                  <mailto:referenceinfo@...>referenceinfo@....

                  I hope some of this gives you something to work with.

                  Barbara

                  At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

                  >Hello to everyone,
                  >
                  >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
                  >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
                  >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
                  >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
                  >
                  >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
                  >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
                  >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
                  >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
                  >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
                  >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
                  >puzzle piece.
                  >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
                  >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
                  >
                  >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
                  >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
                  >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
                  >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
                  >roadblock).
                  >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
                  >White, Moody, and Cook.
                  >
                  >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
                  >appreciate any help that you can give.
                  >
                  >Mechelle

                • Mechelle Wallace
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 8, 2008
                    I really appreciate all this good research!  There is a giltch when I look at the PA. records,
                    due to there being another Cunningham (Joseph) who lived and died in PA. Those Cunninghams then moved on to Rowan Co. NC. There is a line of Josephs, going from the
                    I to the IV. I have never been able to connect my line to them. Family spoken history, states that my Joseph came from Ireland, migrated to Kentucky, then on to Missouri. I have found a possible match, in 1820 Casey, Co. Kentucky. I know he was in Missouri by 1833, as evidenced by tax records.
                    I have not found any connection between Hugh Cunningham and my Joseph.

                    I will explore what you have found, and thank you so much.

                    Mechelle

                    Date:7 Mar 1803
                    Prove Date:23 Mar 1803

                    <mailto:referenceinfo@ godfrey.org>referenceinfo@ godfrey.org.

                    At 04:16 PM 8/25/2008, you wrote:

                    >Hello to everyone,
                    >
                    >I am new to the group, and new to genealogy. My name is Mechelle,
                    >and I live in Fresno, CA. Like a lot of people, I waited too long
                    >to develop an interest in Genealogy. Most of the people in my
                    >family, who would have had the answers, are long gone.
                    >
                    >Right now, I am searching for my Cunningham relatives.
                    >They were Irish and they settled in S/W Missouri.
                    >I can go as far back as my GGGG Grandfather Joseph Cunningham, b.
                    >abt. 1786, in PA. His wife's name was Elizabeth, and she was born in
                    >NC. There are 2-3 family trees on Rootsweb and World Connect, and
                    >they all stop at Joseph. Nobody has been able to find that missing
                    >puzzle piece.
                    >Joseph and Elizabeth had one known child, William Lewis Cunningham
                    >b. 1817 in MO. or KY.
                    >
                    >The are were my family had their farms was in what is now called
                    >Garrison Missouri. In that area, the county name changed three
                    >times, after Joseph arrived abt. 1830. It started as Greene, then
                    >changed to Taney, and then finally Christian County. (that was a big
                    >roadblock).
                    >My other family lines are, Wallace, Buchanan, Ellingsworth, Jones,
                    >White, Moody, and Cook.
                    >
                    >I know everyone is busy with their own research, but I would
                    >appreciate any help that you can give.
                    >
                    >Mechelle

                  • Paul Shonk
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
                      Hi to all members, just thought I'd introduce myself as I have just
                      joined the group. Researching Shonk in Essex,UK , Webster in Kent,
                      Cawley from Balinasloe, Ireland, pooley in Suffolk, UK, Riches in
                      Norfolk & Essex, UK, Ayres in Essex & Beds UK, New Zealand & South
                      Africa(although Laura Ayres became Laura Burnett!)

                      Anyone with any info, or also researching the same areas, I'd love to
                      swap information/pics etc.

                      Anyway, must get back to work now, looking forward to corresponding
                      with you all.
                    • Mechelle Wallace
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Hi Paul,

                        Welcome...

                        Happy Hunting,
                        Mechelle

                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 10, 2008
                          Hi Paul, welcome.
                          I don't have anything for those areas but I do have some prison info for the UK, NZ, Australia and NSW
                          (other countries too) if u ever need me to look up something.
                          Sunny IBSSG

                          From: Paul Shonk <pas1962@...>
                          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 5:01 AM

                        • Kimberly Hamilton
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                            Hello,
                            My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                            The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                            Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                            John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                            George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                            Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                            Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                            Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                            Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                            Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                            Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                            I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                            Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                          • joanne
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                              Hi Kimberly, I do not have any of the names you mentioned however, I do
                              have some Hamiltons in my family tree, if you are interested in
                              researching that portion of your family I might be able to help. Mine
                              are mostly from Rhode Island and Massachusetts, but it could be a start.
                              Thanks Jodi
                              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton
                              <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                              > Hello,
                              > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree
                              and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                              > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from
                              Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                              > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John
                              Coppinger
                              > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in
                              Philadelphia
                              > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                              > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married
                              Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                              > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                              > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                              > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio
                              Carli
                              > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                              > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna
                              Austria
                              > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                              > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                            • lbodonald
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 20, 2009
                                Hi Kimberly,

                                If you haven't already done so, I suggest searching the City Directories on ancestry.com, since you mention that site. I'm pretty new to genealogy research but I have found some very interesting background information by searching the city directories where my Massachusetts ancestors lived. I found listings of what they did for work, and some info as to where they resided in terms of family clusters, which was surprising. It gives you year-by-year information on where they lived and what they did, and how that changed over time.

                                I also suggest looking at rootsweb.com if you haven't looked at that part of ancestry.com (I think it's part of ancestry.com anyway). I found very different information on there, thanks to research other geneaologists did, from what I found at ancestry.com's main page.

                                One other suggestion would be to check USgenweb.org -- that led me to search vital records for Massachusetts, none of which showed up at ancestry.com (the kind of thing that drives you crazy of you don't know why, which I don't!!). I found exact birth, death, and marriage listings -- of course, I'll have to go get or send for copies of them to see what they say -- between 1841 and 1910. Nothing's online for Massachusetts after 1910 yet, I found. Of course other states' vital records will be different; I found, for example, that I can't get vital records for Maine online and the info for before 1892 is scarce.

                                Hope this helps.

                                --Louise (Burnham) O'Donald

                              • paperboy1949@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 21, 2009
                                  Kimberly,

                                  I have Hamilton's in my family from Arkansas around 1900. Is your family from that area?

                                  Mike

                                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Kimberly Hamilton <bellastandardpoodles@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello,
                                  > My name is Kimberly Hamilton. I have been researching my family tree and I am truly a novice. I use ancestry.com .
                                  > The family names that I am researching are: Biagio Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,
                                  > Mary Jordan-came from Ireland,settled in Philadelphia, married John Coppinger
                                  > John Coppinger( Ino Coppinger)-came from Ireland and settled in Philadelphia
                                  > George Thomas Hance-was born in Pennsylvania between 1879 and 1871
                                  > Adolph Eder-came from Russia and settled in Baltimore, MD,married Nellie Bartulis (she came to America in 1910 from Russia(lithuania)
                                  > Ellen McAvoy-born in Pennsylvania around 1875
                                  > Isaac Simpson-born in NJ around 1838
                                  > Adele Carli-came from Italy and settled in Philadelphia,married Biagio Carli
                                  > Mikel Bartulis-no other info
                                  > Michael Warnick-born around 1897 in Philadelphia,parents from Vienna Austria
                                  > I seemed to have found all I can on Ancestry.com. Any ideas?
                                  > Thank you, Kim Hamilton

                                • Stampat
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 9, 2010
                                    Hi,

                                    My name is Pat Neff ....maiden name Mehlenbacher...
                                    My daughter and I have started researching the Neff/Mehlenbacher trees.
                                    There have been some surprises and some frustrations. The difficulty right now is finding information on my maternal side of the family which is surname SLOAT.....from Ontario, Livingston, Genesee and Steuben Counties, NY.
                                    My grandfather , BYRON SLOAT born 1873 in NY was in an orphange in Canandaigua, NY . Byron's mother came here from Ireland... and we're stuck...Any help?

                                    Thank you,
                                    Pat