New to this hobby

  • Tracy Petering
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2003
      Good morning.

      My name is Tracy. I want to begin the search for my
      roots and need some advice as to how to get started.
      Do I post the names I am looking for? Can you tell me
      about resources? How does this work? All help is
      greatly appreciated.

      Take care of you,

      Tracy

      PeoplePC: It's for people. And it's just smart.
      http://www.peoplepc.com
    • Karla Casper-Jennings
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2003
        Tracy,

        Help is available from both online and community resources. We have outlined several of these sources on our website at: http://www.angelfire.com/folk/historian . If you have not selected a program for your computer there are several free ones. We use PAF (Personal Ancestrial File) which can be downloaded free from http://familysearch.org .
        Many public libraries and local family history centers have access to computer sites and the library has paid for access. Our local family history center has access to Heritage Quest and Ancestry.Com. You can find the address for your local family history center at either of the sites mentioned above.

        Success in your search,

        Val & Karla
        Norfolk, VA