free memberships

  • joeyjoie2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
      Can anyone tell me where to find any good free websites for
      genealogy? I really don't have the money to spend on these
      membershipd, but interested in know my history!

      Kerri
    • Aliceann or Scott
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
        Kerri:

        There are lots of free sites out there ... some good, some not-so-good ...
        and some of the folks here on this list have provided links to many of them.
        Some of the "paid" (subscription) sites have free non-member access areas
        which can sometimes prove helpful.

        If you're going to research your family history -- particularly on-line --
        you will have to become very familiar with conducting on-line searches.
        This is a good place to start!

        Likewise, you don't mention the genealogy software you are using (intend to
        use?) ... if I may suggest Legacy? (http://www.legacyfamilytree.com ) They
        offer a free download of their version 4 which does a very good job of
        maintaining your results. (There is also a "DeLuxe" version which is very
        inexpensive compared to some of the other commercial programs out there.
        Actually all you get when you make the upgrade is an 'unlock' code to enter
        into your already-downloaded free version).

        Not certain this is what you had in mind when you asked your question ...
        but hope it is helpful nonetheless.

        Good luck...

        Scott Carlton

        Can anyone tell me where to find any good free websites for
        genealogy? I really don't have the money to spend on these
        membershipd, but interested in know my history!

        Kerri

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/0csqlB/TM

        .

      • Brenda Faye Parker
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
          Rootsweb is the best I have found

          Am proud member of the IBSSG

        • Karla Casper-Jennings
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
            Try our site at http://www.angelfire.com/folk/historian and join our group at: TheFolkHistorian-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .

            Hope we can work together and discover the past. Success in your journey.

            Val & Karla

            joeyjoie2000 <joeyjoie2000@...> wrote:
            Can anyone tell me where to find any good free websites for
            genealogy? I really don't have the money to spend on these
            membershipd, but interested in know my history!

            Kerri

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Forrest G Plumstead
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2003
              Hi Kerri!

              Click on the link in my signature block and go to New to genealogy at the
              top or go to Favolrite Links in the menu. There are several free
              resources which I use all the time. Happy Hunting!

              Forrest Plumstead
              http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum
              For New to Genealogy and Favorite Links click above
              Researching: Plumstead Schroeder Risser Hobson Senne Heald Thayer Ross

              On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:23:14 -0000 "joeyjoie2000"
              <joeyjoie2000@...> writes:
              Can anyone tell me where to find any good free websites for genealogy?
              I really don't have the money to spend on these membershipd, but
              interested in know my history!

              Kerri

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
            • Kerri Harms

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Thank you Val and Karla...

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Karla Casper-Jennings
                  <casper_jennings@y...> wrote:
                  > Try our site at http://www.angelfire.com/folk/historian and join
                  our group at: TheFolkHistorian-subscribe@yahoogroups.com .

                  > Hope we can work together and discover the past. Success in your
                  journey.

                  > Val & Karla
                  >
                  > joeyjoie2000 <joeyjoie2000@y...> wrote:
                  > Can anyone tell me where to find any good free websites for
                  > genealogy? I really don't have the money to spend on these
                  > membershipd, but interested in know my history!
                  >
                  > Kerri
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                  Service.

                • joeyjoie2000
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
                    Thanks for the info...Kerri

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Aliceann or Scott"
                    <carlton47@e...> wrote:
                    > Kerri:
                    >
                    > There are lots of free sites out there ... some good, some not-so-
                    good ...
                    > and some of the folks here on this list have provided links to many
                    of them.
                    > Some of the "paid" (subscription) sites have free non-member
                    access areas
                    > which can sometimes prove helpful.
                    >
                    > If you're going to research your family history -- particularly on-
                    line --
                    > you will have to become very familiar with conducting on-line
                    searches.
                    > This is a good place to start!
                    >
                    > Likewise, you don't mention the genealogy software you are using
                    (intend to
                    > use?) ... if I may suggest Legacy?
                    (http://www.legacyfamilytree.com ) They
                    > offer a free download of their version 4 which does a very good job
                    of
                    > maintaining your results. (There is also a "DeLuxe" version which
                    is very
                    > inexpensive compared to some of the other commercial programs out
                    there.
                    > Actually all you get when you make the upgrade is an 'unlock' code
                    to enter
                    > into your already-downloaded free version).
                    >
                    > Not certain this is what you had in mind when you asked your
                    question ...
                    > but hope it is helpful nonetheless.
                    >
                    > Good luck...
                    >
                    > Scott Carlton

                    Lexmark
                    > Printer at Myinks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to the US &
                    Canada.
                    > http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
                    > http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/0csqlB/TM
                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/