Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Digest Number 219

  • SUE CHILBERG
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      Obtaing military records.
      Go to www.archives.gov/research_room/index.html
      this is the national archives.
      If you are searching for military records for abt.1902
      and before back to the revolationary war you will need
      to order form # NATF Form 86 for a service record.
      For a pension record you need to order form NATF Form
      85.
      These forms you have to order from the arvhives as
      they are in tripcult and they will mail you how many
      forms you want. You must specify exactly which form
      you want. it takes about 7 days to get them.
      They wait to even find out if they have a copy of the
      record for the person you want can take up to 4 months
      or more.
      For Service Records from world war one forward,
      You need form # Standard Form, Sf-180.
      This form you can download and print off your
      computer.
      This form goes to St. louis,Mo. to the national
      personnel records center for military personnel.
      Basically anyone can obtain a copy of a persons
      service record,just not their health. if the person is
      alive then you need them to sign forms.
      If person is deceased then it is no problem.
      It can take up to 12 weeks to get a reply.
      The easiest thing to do if you've never ordered
      records is go to above website, and click on the
      section for genealogy, and a couple of other sections,
      it tells all about ordering records.,etc.
      I have never had a problem getting any copies for
      ancestors, I've ordered 1812,revlationary,ww1 & ww2
      I just note on form "for genealogy purposes only"
      Sorry for so long, hope this helps everyone.
      Sue ANDRUS_CHILBERG

      http://sbc.yahoo.com
    • Traci McCluskey
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2003
[...]