Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Need help

  • Forrest G Plumstead
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 3, 2003
      By law or policy the American Archives is not allowed to release to
      public record for 71 or 72 years for privacy. The latest census which
      has been released for the public is the 1930 census. To find out more
      visit www.usgenweb.com and click on the census project.

      Hey list the US Genweb is a great project which is trying to transcribe
      all of the available census to publish free to the public. I am a
      volunteer and there is a lot of work left. Please visit this webpage and
      see if you can volunteer some time to transcribe or proofread.

      Since we have been discussing military records, here is the problem I
      have. My father in law passed away last year. Like my father he served
      in the US Navy during *The* war. He told me and his sons many stories
      about his time in the Navy but never told us what the name of his ship(s)
      was/were. Does anybody have a clue where I could find this information?

      Forrest Plumstead
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum
      For New to Genealogy and Favorite Links click above
      Researching: Plumstead Schroeder Risser Hobson Senne Heald Thayer Ross

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Marilynn
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 31, 2011
        Does anyone know if/where obits are available from StaatsZeitung of New York
        City?