Re: [Genealogy Research Club] how do I find service number/ssn?

  • Rocco Tedesco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
      hello, The Social Security Death records can be 20 years behind. My g-father shoued up on the records 25 plus years after his death. Service numbers were seperate from the social security numbers during the early through middle years of the 20th century. Then the military went to the ssn's.

      OhNurseLisa@... wrote:Hi,
      I've been reading the posts about military records. I want to obtain some
      military records but don't have a service number or social security number. I
      have his place of birth, many places he was stationed, date of death, funeral
      home, etc. but can't seem to find those numbers. He is not listed in the
      social security death index-he died in 1946. His wife is listed in the social
      security index, but I don't think there would be anything on her records that
      would help me, is there? Any other ideas? He had no children, his brothers and his
      wife are dead...thanks for any help Lisa in Richmond, VA

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      "The lessons learned yesterday,

      Applied to the problems of today,

      Lead to a better life tomorrow."

      R. "TwoBears" Tedesco

    • Nancy Mancuso
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
        ---Hello,
        I have a great uncle was born in Kenosha Wis 1905 and
        had S/S but in 1965 he die in Chicago,Ill. But my
        mother dose get a letter from them until 1970
        and say your Uncle pass away. NO record show
        that their was a S/S number for him?????
        Please get back to me I don't understand this.
        Thank You Nancy M.

        --- Rocco Tedesco <rtwobears@...> wrote:
        > hello, The Social Security Death records can be 20
        > years behind. My g-father shoued up on the records
        > 25 plus years after his death. Service numbers were
        > seperate from the social security numbers during the
        > early through middle years of the 20th century.
        > Then the military went to the ssn's.
        >
        > OhNurseLisa@... wrote:Hi,
        > I've been reading the posts about military
        > records. I want to obtain some
        > military records but don't have a service number or
        > social security number. I
        > have his place of birth, many places he was
        > stationed, date of death, funeral
        > home, etc. but can't seem to find those numbers. He
        > is not listed in the
        > social security death index-he died in 1946. His
        > wife is listed in the social
        > security index, but I don't think there would be
        > anything on her records that
        > would help me, is there? Any other ideas? He had no
        > children, his brothers and his
        > wife are dead...thanks for any help Lisa in
        > Richmond, VA

        > removed]
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Terms of Service.
        >

        > "The lessons learned yesterday,
        >
        > Applied to the problems of today,
        >
        > Lead to a better life tomorrow."
        >
        > R. "TwoBears" Tedesco

        > removed]

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Norm Vine
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
          Try the funeral home, they often apply for SS death benefits for the family. They may have his SSN in their records.

          Norm

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2003
            --- Rocco Tedesco <rtwobears@...> wrote:
            > hello, The Social Security Death records can be 20
            > years behind. My g-father shoued up on the records
            > 25 plus years after his death. Service numbers were
            > seperate from the social security numbers during the
            > early through middle years of the 20th century.
            > Then the military went to the ssn's.
            >
            > OhNurseLisa@... wrote:Hi,
            > I've been reading the posts about military
            > records. I want to obtain some
            > military records but don't have a service number or
            > social security number. I
            > have his place of birth, many places he was
            > stationed, date of death, funeral
            > home, etc. but can't seem to find those numbers. He
            > is not listed in the
            > social security death index-he died in 1946. His
            > wife is listed in the social
            > security index, but I don't think there would be
            > anything on her records that
            > would help me, is there? Any other ideas? He had no
            > children, his brothers and his
            > wife are dead...thanks for any help Lisa in
            > Richmond, VA

            > removed]
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Terms of Service.