Ally's Genealogy.com question

  • k
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2003
      Hi everyone,
      I'm Kirsten and I'm a genealogy addict. Just became
      addicted about 2 weeks ago.

      Ally, Ancestry.com just bought Genealogy.com. I wonder
      if they'll merge their websites, etc. I have a
      neighbor who works for Ancestry.com, so I'll ask him
      what they plan to do with Genealogy.com and let ya
      know.
      Kirsten

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:50:53 -0700
      > From: "Ally Wicker" <alycia@...>
      > Subject: Genealogy.com Site question
      >
      > Hi everyone! I'm Ally and new to this group. I have
      > been researching my family tree for about 4 months.
      > So, I am pretty new to this. Here's my question, I
      > have a membership to www.Ancestry.com and used
      > Family Tree Maker. Family Tree Maker is associated
      > with www.Genealogy.com. Do any of you have
      > subscriptions to the Genealogy,com and is it worth
      > it? Have you found others who are working on the
      > same surnames in Genealogy.com that weren't on
      > Ancestry.com? Any help would be appreciated as I
      > wonder if getting a membership there is a good idea,
      > as well.

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
    • k
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2003
        Hey Ally,
        Ancestry.com will combine their database with
        Genealogy.com, but it might not happen for at least a
        year. I'm so new to genealogy that I can't give a
        good opinion as to what I think you should do.

        Although, I do have an idea as to getting info from
        Ancestry.com for free. I haven't read through the
        archives here, so I don't know if this has already
        been discussed. LDS Family History Centers have free
        access to Ancestry.com. You could go to
        www.familysearch.org and see if there's a Family
        History Center located near you. You don't have to be
        a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
        Saints to use the resources there.

        Kirsten

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
          Kirsten,

          I do have a subscription to Ancestry. I like it. I did sign up
          briefly for Genealogy and found that I just didn't like it. I found
          Ancestry to be easier to use.

          Last night I was on Family Search. I think I will find a center near
          me to check out what other info they have.

          Thanks,

          Ally

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, k <notjomama2000@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hey Ally,
          > Ancestry.com will combine their database with
          > Genealogy.com, but it might not happen for at least a
          > year. I'm so new to genealogy that I can't give a
          > good opinion as to what I think you should do.
          >
          > Although, I do have an idea as to getting info from
          > Ancestry.com for free. I haven't read through the
          > archives here, so I don't know if this has already
          > been discussed. LDS Family History Centers have free
          > access to Ancestry.com. You could go to
          > www.familysearch.org and see if there's a Family
          > History Center located near you. You don't have to be
          > a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day
          > Saints to use the resources there.
          >
          > Kirsten
        • jimhargey
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 15, 2003
            -
            Hi Kirsten,

            I went in to Ancestry.com with my surname HARGEY and in one of the
            directories Births,Deaths and Marriages when I clicked on the view of
            the 45 hits one came up with the Tudor Roll of the Blood Royal have
            you any idea what this may be ???
            Jim Hargey jimhargey@...

            -- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "dragonfly77_99"