Re: [Genealogy Research Club] WWI Question

  • Nancy Mancuso
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2003
      ---Hi Gary,
      I just finish up on one of the Civil War records that
      have everthing about the person. Some Library has it
      on film or you can go to Family History Center and
      order the film in. G.A.R do a lot of work on the Civil
      War and World War I. Nancy

      --- Matt Johnson <gjohnson75@...> wrote:
      > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a
      > question for me. I
      > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson"
      > that died in WWI,
      > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no
      > birth or death
      > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where
      > they were living
      > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway
      > I can find out
      > the lists of people who were killed in Action during
      > WWI and maybe
      > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a
      > copy of service
      > record.
      >

      > Thanks all in advance.
      >
      > Gary

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Rebecca Betz-Festa
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18, 2003
        Hi Gary - the following information is from ancestry.com:
        WW1 Civilian Draft Registrations
        Johnson, William Lewis
        Birth Date – 17 Jan 1898
        Ethnicity – White
        Birth Place – (no listing)
        City/County – Polk
        State – Florida

        To get the actual service records you will have to write to the
        Department of the Army - I think the central records office is is St.
        Louis, MO. My gen friend at work has the address - I will get it
        from her on Monday and post it for you. Do you know his parents
        names? They should be listed on the 1900 Census. If you would send
        me a private e-mail with the city and state, I will look on my next
        trip to the NARA archives in June.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Johnson"
        <gjohnson75@m...> wrote:
        > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. I
        > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson" that died in WWI,
        > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no birth or death
        > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where they were living
        > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway I can find out
        > the lists of people who were killed in Action during WWI and maybe
        > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a copy of
        service
        > record.
        >

        > Thanks all in advance.
        >
        > Gary
      • Rebecca Betz-Festa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2003
          Hi Matt - go to this website =
          http://members.aol.com/ForVets/htomr.htm - there is a very good
          article with a link to get the SF180 Form you need to get a copy of
          the service records. You will mail the SF180 Form to:
          The National Personnel Records Center
          Military Personnel Records
          9700 Page Avenue
          St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
          Hope this helps.

          <gjohnson75@m...> wrote:
          > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. I
          > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson" that died in WWI,
          > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no birth or death
          > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where they were living
          > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway I can find out
          > the lists of people who were killed in Action during WWI and maybe
          > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a copy of
          service
          > record.
          >

          > Thanks all in advance.
          >
          > Gary
        • Norm Vine
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2003
            You could try the National Archives in Washington or
            one of their regional offices.

            There is a military records center located in St.
            Louis, they may be helpful. Good luck.

            Norm

            http://search.yahoo.com