WWI Question

  • Matt Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2003
      Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. I
      have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson" that died in WWI,
      unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no birth or death
      dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where they were living
      during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway I can find out
      the lists of people who were killed in Action during WWI and maybe
      more info about them, at least so I can try to get a copy of service
      record.

      Thanks all in advance.

      Gary
    • Nancy Mancuso
      Message 2 of 5 , May 17, 2003
        ---Hi Gary,
        I just finish up on one of the Civil War records that
        have everthing about the person. Some Library has it
        on film or you can go to Family History Center and
        order the film in. G.A.R do a lot of work on the Civil
        War and World War I. Nancy

        --- Matt Johnson <gjohnson75@...> wrote:
        > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a
        > question for me. I
        > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson"
        > that died in WWI,
        > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no
        > birth or death
        > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where
        > they were living
        > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway
        > I can find out
        > the lists of people who were killed in Action during
        > WWI and maybe
        > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a
        > copy of service
        > record.
        >

        > Thanks all in advance.
        >
        > Gary

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Rebecca Betz-Festa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2003
          Hi Gary - the following information is from ancestry.com:
          WW1 Civilian Draft Registrations
          Johnson, William Lewis
          Birth Date – 17 Jan 1898
          Ethnicity – White
          Birth Place – (no listing)
          City/County – Polk
          State – Florida

          To get the actual service records you will have to write to the
          Department of the Army - I think the central records office is is St.
          Louis, MO. My gen friend at work has the address - I will get it
          from her on Monday and post it for you. Do you know his parents
          names? They should be listed on the 1900 Census. If you would send
          me a private e-mail with the city and state, I will look on my next
          trip to the NARA archives in June.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Johnson"
          <gjohnson75@m...> wrote:
          > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. I
          > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson" that died in WWI,
          > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no birth or death
          > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where they were living
          > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway I can find out
          > the lists of people who were killed in Action during WWI and maybe
          > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a copy of
          service
          > record.
          >

          > Thanks all in advance.
          >
          > Gary
        • Rebecca Betz-Festa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2003
            Hi Matt - go to this website =
            http://members.aol.com/ForVets/htomr.htm - there is a very good
            article with a link to get the SF180 Form you need to get a copy of
            the service records. You will mail the SF180 Form to:
            The National Personnel Records Center
            Military Personnel Records
            9700 Page Avenue
            St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
            Hope this helps.

            <gjohnson75@m...> wrote:
            > Hi all. I was hoping that someone could answer a question for me. I
            > have a great grandfather "William Lewis Johnson" that died in WWI,
            > unfortunately this is all anyone knows anymore, no birth or death
            > dates. I have his wifes and childs name and where they were living
            > during the 1930 census. Is there a place or someway I can find out
            > the lists of people who were killed in Action during WWI and maybe
            > more info about them, at least so I can try to get a copy of
            service
            > record.
            >

            > Thanks all in advance.
            >
            > Gary
          • Norm Vine
            Message 5 of 5 , May 21, 2003
              You could try the National Archives in Washington or
              one of their regional offices.

              There is a military records center located in St.
              Louis, they may be helpful. Good luck.

              Norm

              http://search.yahoo.com