From NEHGS e-digest/FREE lecture

  • kathy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2003
      New England Historic Genealogical Society
      NEHGS eNews
      Vol. 5, No. 14
      Whole #107

      "Atlases: A Window into your Past Lecture"
      Thursday, May 15, 7 p.m., Monson, Massachusetts

      Early atlases are oft-neglected research tools that can provide
      us with a fascinating glimpse into our local past, on a very
      personal scale. In the final third of the nineteenth century,
      advances in lithography and improvements in transportation and
      communication allowed the successful commercial publication
      of county atlases for much of the United States. These early
      atlases were much more than mere road maps, however, as
      each community was recorded in considerable detail. These
      treasure troves of information are fascinating glimpses of what
      the land we now inhabit once looked like. One might learn who
      once lived in your house, or discover that what is now just a pile
      of stones in the woods was once a bustling factory. Atlases are
      often as useful to local historians and genealogists today as
      they must have been to contemporaries trying to navigate the
      roads of nineteenth-century America. Historian Tom Kelleher will
      recount who compiled these records and why, and give some
      examples of how homeowners, teachers, genealogists, and
      local historians can mine old atlases for a wealth of historical
      information.

      The lecture will be held at 7 p.m. on Thursday, May 15, at the
      Monson Free Library in Monson, Massachusetts. The library is
      located at 2 High Street in Monson. Directions are available at
      www.monsonlibrary.com; click on "about the library." The lecture
      is free to the public, and pre-registration is not required. For
      more information, please contact Theresa Percy at
      413-267-3866.

      We strongly encourage you to email this newsletter to others
      who might be interested.