FREE lecture-Atlases A window to our Past

  • kathy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2003
      At the Monson Free Library, Monson Massachusetts
      Thursday May 15 at 7pm

      Hosted by Tom Kelleher, Research Historian at Old Sturbridge
      Village
      Discover F.W. Beers and the secrets of his 19th Century Atlases.
      Learn how they can uncover your community and family history

      Early atlases are often neglected research tools that can provide
      us with a fascinating glimpse into our local past, on a very
      personal scale. In the final third of the nineteenth century,
      advances in lithography and improvements in transportation and
      communication allowed the successful commercial publication
      of county atlases for much of the United States. These early
      atlases were much more than mere road maps, however, as
      each community was recorded in considerable detail. These
      treasure troves of information are fascinating glimpses of what
      the land we now inhabit once looked like. One might learn who
      once lived in your house, or discover that what is now just a pile
      of stones in the woods was once a bustling factory. Atlases are
      often as useful to local historians and genealogists today as
      they must have been to contemporaries trying to navigate the
      roads of nineteenth-century America.

      For more information on the lecture contact the library
      monsonfl@...

      For more information on availability of the F,W Beers maps go to
      www.piperpublishing.com -click on genealogy tab