newbie

  • Lesley
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 18, 2003
      Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested in doing a
      family tree and just researching ancestors. Unfortunately I don't
      know anybody other than immediate relatives such as parents and
      aunts. I don't even know my grandparents (died before I was born).
      Anyway 1st question-does that matter? And second question-what is
      the best way to start? Like what is the first thing I should do? I
      can see how this can get quite overwhelming. Does anyone recommend
      software or books?

      Thanks for reading this message.
      Lesley
    • Forrest G. Plumstead
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 20, 2003
        Hi Lesley!

        Actually you can get away without the grandparents but it does make the
        search harder. For a list of recourses, and hints and tips click on the
        link next to (or under) New to genealogy? and read my article for
        beginners.

        Welcome to the group and Happy Hunting!

        ><>Forrest Plumstead<>< San Antonio, TX, USA
        Family Web Page http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/
        New to Genealogy?
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/Plumstead/genbeginner.html
        Favorite Links
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/Plumstead/favorite%20links
        .html
        Researching PLUMSTEAD, CLEMENS, HEALD, HOBSON, MARTIN, RISSER, SCHROEDER,
        THAYER, WIRTH

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Nancy Mancuso
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 20, 2003
          ---Hi Lesley,
          You can go to the library and ask them where
          are their Genealogy book.That how I got start in my
          Italian Family. Nancy

          --- Lesley <lmcgraw10@...> wrote:
          > Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested
          > in doing a
          > family tree and just researching ancestors.
          > Unfortunately I don't
          > know anybody other than immediate relatives such as
          > parents and
          > aunts. I don't even know my grandparents (died
          > before I was born).
          > Anyway 1st question-does that matter? And second
          > question-what is
          > the best way to start? Like what is the first thing
          > I should do? I
          > can see how this can get quite overwhelming. Does
          > anyone recommend
          > software or books?
          >
          > Thanks for reading this message.
          > Lesley

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Norm Vine
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 20, 2003
            Lesley, my advise to you is to start out by interviewing your living relatives and asking them what it is that they know and will share with you. Ask the right questions of them, you want to know as many facts as possible. Ask the names of your ancestors, the maiden names of the women, place of birth, date of birth, date and place of marriages, date and place of deaths. Any children they may have had, always wanting to know the dates and places things happened. Ask about their occupations, military service and any personal stories they may have. Obtain family tree forms to record all this information on ( free on ancestry.com ). This will give you a good start and lead you to where you need to look next. Good luck, Norm

            Lesley <lmcgraw10@...> wrote:Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am interested in doing a
            family tree and just researching ancestors. Unfortunately I don't
            know anybody other than immediate relatives such as parents and
            aunts. I don't even know my grandparents (died before I was born).
            Anyway 1st question-does that matter? And second question-what is
            the best way to start? Like what is the first thing I should do? I
            can see how this can get quite overwhelming. Does anyone recommend
            software or books?

            Thanks for reading this message.
            Lesley

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Donna
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 30, 2009
              Hi,
              I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.

              Donna
            • Dawn Bennink
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                Do you have any birth years for anyone, even approximate, or cities in OH?
                Believe it or not, a simple ancestry.com brings up quite a few Walter Geis
                census pages in OH. If I had an idea of the years in which they were born,
                I might be able to find something more concrete for you.

                Dawn

                > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna
                > Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul
                > Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name
                > possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not
                > live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for
                > information.
                >
                > Donna

              • barbara erickson
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                  Hi Donna, do you have any dates for your people. I found Walter but no Mary or Flossie. Dates will help pin down information. Barb

                  ________________________________
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Does this look like your family?
                    Does Tuscarawas County ring a bell?
                    I'm not positive that these puzzle-pieces go together,
                    but they look like a pretty good match.

                    Social Security Death Index
                    Name: Paul D. Geis
                    SSN: 281-03-3218 issued: Ohio (Before 1951)
                    Last Residence: 43001 Alexandria, Licking, Ohio
                    Born: 23 May 1916
                    Died: 18 Jun 2003

                    1920 Goshen (Midvale), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Geise, Walter A, married 36 born OH:OH:OH ClayMolder,
                    (), Mary E/28:OH:PA:OH, Paul D/3

                    1910 Mill (Urichsville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Geis, Walter A/25:OH:OH:VA, Mary F/18:OH:OH
                    - married.1 0 yrs, 0 children

                    Name: Walter Archibald Geis
                    Residence: Midvale, Tus, O [Tuscarawas, Ohio]
                    County: Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Birth Date: 6 Dec 1882
                    Race: White
                    FHL Roll Number: 1851245
                    Nearest Relative: (none listed)
                    Occupation: Clay Worker

                    Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2002
                    Name: Mary F Geis
                    Death Date: 17 Feb 1927
                    County of Death: Tuscarawas
                    ==============================
                    Name: Walter A Geis
                    Death Date: 8 Mar 1928
                    County of Death: Tuscarawas

                    1930 New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas, Ohio (all marked born OH:OH:OH)
                    Geis, William W/42, Audra E/42, both married at age 25
                    (), Marie E/16/dau, Paul/13/nephew, Forest/10/nephew

                    1900 Mill (Urichville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Geis, George M, head 45 married 26 yrs born June 1854 OH:Germany:Ger
                    - Restaurant Keeper
                    (), Phoebe J, wife 45 married 26 yrs born June 1854 WV:VA:VA
                    - 9 children 6 living (all children born OH:OH:WV)
                    (), Charles E/21, Henritta/19, Fannie C/18,
                    (), Walter A/16/Dec1883, William W/12, Nillie/9

                    1880 Uhrichsville (Mill Twp), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Geis, George M/26:OH/Baker, Phebe/26:PA:PA:PA,
                    (), Joseph/5:OH:OH:OH, Charls E/3, Henrietta/11m/bornJune

                    1910 Mill (Urichsville Village), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                    Geis, George M/56:Ger:Ger/proprietorRestaurant, Pheobe/56,
                    - married 36 years, 11 children 7 living
                    (), Fannie/27, Nellie/18, Willie/22
                    NOTE: all are marked as born "Ohio:Germany:Germany" (?!)

                    Ohio Deaths, 1908-1932, 1938-1944, and 1958-2002
                    Name: Phoebe Jane Geis
                    Death Date: 15 Apr 1912
                    City of Death: Uhrichsville
                    County of Death: Tuscarawas

                    Ancestry.com has 3 "Public Member Stories" -
                    - newspaper article re Geis' Restaurant
                    - George Michael Geis Obituary (1854-1926)
                    - Geis-Bussinger Connection (includes large descendancy chart)
                    1 Michael M. Geis 1828 - 1876 b: September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany d: July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                    .... +Mathilda Schneider 1830 - 1920 b: May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany d: November 16, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio
                    .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
                    ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio

                    NOTE: the Bussinger connection is through one of George & Phoebe's children

                    - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
                    >
                    > Donna

                  • Donna
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Yes, this is some of them. Walter and Flossie Davis Geis were my grandfather, Paul Davis Geis' parents. From what I have found, it looks like George and Phoebe Geis were Walter's parents.

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Bloodhound (genealogy); Kermit (alt.nick)" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
                      > ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio
                      >
                      > NOTE: the Bussinger connection is through one of George & Phoebe's children
                      >

                      > - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"
                      >

                      > --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.

                    • Donna
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                        From what I have found, Walter A. Geis was born December 6, 1882 and died March 8, 1928. He was born in Tuscarawas, Ohio. His wife, Mary Flossie Foster Davis was born June 6, 1891 and died February 17, 1927.
                        It looks like Walter Geis' parents were George M. Geis and Phoebe Jane Bartholomew.
                        I'm not sure but from what I have found it looks like George M. Geis' parents were Michael M. Geis and Mathilda Scheider Geis, both born in Bavaria, Germany.
                        From what I know this particular Geis family were German Jews. I am trying to find information on the Jewish ancestry - like where it comes in at, etc.

                        Paul Davis Geis, my grandfather, was born May 23, 1916 and died June 18, 2003. His parennts were Walter and Mary Flossie Geis, mentioned above.

                        Donna

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Dawn Bennink" <bennink4@...> wrote:

                        > Do you have any birth years for anyone, even approximate, or cities in OH?
                        > Believe it or not, a simple ancestry.com brings up quite a few Walter Geis
                        > census pages in OH. If I had an idea of the years in which they were born,
                        > I might be able to find something more concrete for you.
                        >
                        > Dawn

                      • Donna
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Walter A. Geis was born December 6, 1882 and died March 8, 1928. His wife, Mary Flossie Foster Davis (related to Jefferson Davis), was born June 6, 1891 and died February 17, 1927.

                          Dona

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 3, 2009
                            More Geis family in Ohio -

                            1870 Wapakoneta, Auglaize, Ohio
                            Gise, Machael/40:Bayern/baker, Matilda/38:Bayern,
                            (), George/16:OH/baker, Matilda/14, Frank/10, William/4,
                            (), Mary/3, John/2m?/bornOct

                            1880 Wapakoneta, Auglaize, Ohio
                            Geis, Mathilda/48:Bavaria/widow, Frank/19:OH/butcher,
                            (), William/14, Maria/12, John/10, Christina/8, Lorenz/6

                            1860 Piqua, Miami, Ohio
                            Gies, Michael/30:Baden/baker, Matilda/28:Baden,
                            (), George/5:OH, Margaret/4, Christena/2

                            - Tom Knox

                            --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Bloodhound" <tomknox2001@...> wrote:

                            > 1880 Uhrichsville (Mill Twp), Tuscarawas, Ohio
                            > Geis, George M/26:OH/Baker, Phebe/26:PA:PA:PA,
                            > (), Joseph/5:OH:OH:OH, Charls E/3, Henrietta/11m/bornJune

                            > 1 Michael M. Geis 1828 - 1876 b: September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany d: July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                            > .... +Mathilda Schneider 1830 - 1920 b: May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany d: November 16, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio
                            > .... 2 George M. Geis 1854 - 1926 b: June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio d: December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio, ( Clark Co.)
                            > ....... +Phoebe Jane Bartholomew 1854 - 1912 b: July 15, 1854 in Cameron , West Virginia , ( near Boardtree ) d: April 13, 1912 in Dennison , Ohio
                            >
                            > - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"
                            >
                            > --- In genealogyresearchclub, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
                            > >
                            > > Donna
                          • Lee
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 16, 2009
                              I found the Death Certificate of Walter... Please e-mail me if you want the Image... Walter's fathers name on the death cert was George e-mail me

                              lmossolle at yahoo . com

                              Name: Walter A. Geis
                              Titles:
                              Death date: 08 Mar 1928
                              Death place: Dover Township, Tuscarawas, Ohio
                              Birth date: 06 Dec 1882
                              Estimated birth year:
                              Birthplace: Uricksville, Ohio
                              Age at death: 45 years 3 months 2 days
                              Gender: Male
                              Marital status: Widowed
                              Race or color: Caucasian
                              Street address: 707 Fair Ave. N.E.
                              Occupation: Clayworker
                              Residence:
                              Burial date: 10 Mar 1928
                              Burial place:
                              Cemetery name: East Ave Cemetery
                              Spouse's name: Flossie Davis Geis
                              Father's name: George Geis
                              Father's titles:
                              Father's birthplace: Ohio
                              Mother's name:
                              Mother's titles:
                              Mother's birthplace:
                              GSU film number: 1991206
                              Digital GS number: 4022087
                              Image number: 982
                              Reference number: fn 19688
                              Collection: Ohio Deaths 1908-1953

                              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Donna" <shadow_wolf@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              > I am looking for information on the Geis family in Ohio. My name is Donna Geis. My father's name is Charles Davis Geis. His father's name was Paul Davis Geis. Paul's parents were Walter Geis and Flossie Davis (first name possibly Mary). Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not live in Ohio and I am unable to go there at the present time to look for information.
                              >
                              > Donna

                            • Lee
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 16, 2009
                                ********** Generation #1 **********

                                Michael M. Geis
                                b. September 30, 1828 in Aldbessengen, Bavaria, Germany
                                d. July 3, 1876 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                                Married
                                Mathilda Schneider
                                b. May 15, 1830 in Zeilizheim, Bavaria, Germany
                                d. November 10, 1920 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Dayton, Ohio

                                Children
                                George M Geis
                                b. June 28, 1854 in Wapakoneta, Ohio
                                d. December 8, 1926 in Springfield, Ohio

                                ********** Generation #2 **********

                                George Michael Geis
                                Married Phoebe Jane Bartholomew
                                b. July 15, 1854 in Cameron, West Virginia
                                d. April 13, 1912 in Dennison, Ohio

                                Children of George and Phoebe

                                Charles Edward Geis
                                b. January 29, 1878