Re: [Genealogy Research Club] new to the group

  • v plumley
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
      Hello Nancy,
      welcome to the group!

      Isn't Forrest Plumstead just the greatest!

      I can't add anything more to what he said just wanted
      to say hi and happy hunting.
      If you need help ask.

      =====
      May God Bless you and Keep you Safe
      yours truly
      Ginny

      http://tax.yahoo.com
    • Aliscia Dupre
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
        Mr. Plumstead,
        This is by far the most help I have had! Thank you so
        much for your candid comments, informattion and words
        of caution. Looks like I am in for alot of fun...
        Aliscia
        --- "Forrest G. Plumstead" <fplum@...> wrote:
> [...]
        > "Sealed in cement.".
        > Mistakes can still occur and sometimes the people
        > who filed out the
        > records had wrong information, no information, or
        > out and out lied about
        > information to cover up a scandal. (Say it isn't
        > so!) If while you are
        > going through GEDCOMS you find things that are
        > incorrect about your
        > family in somebody else's GEDCOM please let them
        > know, but do so gently.
        > The fastest way to get ignored by someone who has
        > posted his/her GEDCOM
        > is to send a letter similar to this one:My great
        > great grandaunt Sue Mae
        > was never married! How dare you put something on the
        > internet about my
        > family without first checking the resources? The
        > reason the info was
        > incorrect was because like me the person who had the
        > wrong information
        > keeps an expanded family tree. When he finds a
        > GEDCOM which contains a
        > family member he downloads the full GEDCOM and
        > merges it with his own and
        > edits out the duplicates. The GEDCOM can grow to
        > 35,000 to 50,000+
        > individuals. Would you like to verify all that
        > data? So just let them
        > know great great grandaunt Sue Mae is in my family
        > and was never married.
        > Sign up for e-mail Lists, you can find them
        > surnames, or for locations.
        > **Very important** After signing up like you did for
        > this list, take a
        > few days and read the messages that they send. It
        > will not take long to
        > get a feel for the List's social norms. You will
        > find that some are very
        > helpful people. You will find some, who love to
        > torture newbes to the
        > list. You will find out what the list as a whole
        > will tolerate and will
        > not tolerate. Then carefully post a hello message
        > like the one you
        > posted to this list. Be aware however that there
        > are some lists out
        > there that are just plain old clicks which do not
        > tolerate new members,
        > un subscribe from them quickly, or you will lose
        > sight of you genealogy
        > goals and just get into one flaming match after
        > another. Lists are a
        > fantastic tool. Through lists I have located
        > immediate ancestors and
        > even living relatives that I did not know about.
        > If you don't have research sources to be able to
        > help others since the
        > group has helped you. Perhaps there are other
        > talents and resources that
        > you do have that you can offer help. For example
        > quite often I see
        > something like Non-Gen need computer help. Now
        > I'm pretty handy with
        > a computer so I try to help out with these types of
        > messages.
        > Hope some of this helps, and above all have fun!
        >
        > ><>Forrest Plumstead<>< San Antonio, TX, USA

        BELL,CLEMENS,DOEHRING,GILDEHAUS,HEALD,HOBSON,MARTIN,RISSER,SCHROEDER,
        > SIMPSON,SPERRY,THAYER,VINKE,WIRTH,ZANDERS

        > removed]

        http://tax.yahoo.com
      • Forrest G. Plumstead
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
          Click on this link www.ancestry.com on the index page(first page) there
          is a section labeled Build a Family Tree. Click on the link labeled FREE
          Genealogy Software . Download run setup and that's all there is to it.
          If you have questions about the program don't hesitate to send them to
          me. I don't know all the answers, but I've been using the program for
          over a year, I know my way around.

          ><>Forrest Plumstead<>< San Antonio, TX, USA
          Researching PLUMSTEAD,
          BELL,CLEMENS,DOEHRING,GILDEHAUS,HEALD,HOBSON,MARTIN,RISSER,SCHROEDER,
          SIMPSON,SPERRY,THAYER,VINKE,WIRTH,ZANDERS

        • Nancy Mancuso
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
            ---Hello,
            Thank You for Welcome me to group Nancy !!!!

            http://tax.yahoo.com